Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

Kedel Pellet Boiler

KateB22
10 years ago

I am currently having a new house built and deciding what heating system I will put in. I am strongly considering putting in a kedel pellet boiler. Anyone here have any experiences to share? I guess they are common in areas of Europe and just starting to be used in the US.
My main drawto it is that I can heat my home with pellets instead of oil, which appeals to me on an environmental level.
Also, I had heard pellets are much cheaper than oil when you compare how much you will spend on fuel for either. However, the pellet boiler is much more expensive than an oil boiler would be. The one I want can heat the whole house just like an oil furnace/boiler and needs no back up system. You do't even have to load the pellets they can self load and you just clean it once a month or so.
My main concern is the price being much higher. My second concern is the newness of it for me, since Ihave always had a oil boiler.
Please tell me what you think of pellet boilers ( and kedel if you have used it)

Comments (6)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Where are you? While many love pellet stoves, I would not consider pellets except the way you are burning them, in a stoker fed central unit. That said, they are big money and I would want to buy from a company with a solid history in the US market. There are a lot of orphan pieces of heating equipment out there where a manuf comes into the states with great expectations and high hopes and for one reason or another pulls out. I would definitely have a conversation with them on a suggested service parts kit you could have on the shelf. As a part of the purchase drive them hard for a good price on the replacement parts unique to their equipment. In Jan when your unit goes down and they tell you the parts are leaving Norway next week...You get the idea and these things DO happen. I suggest you install some minisplit heat pumps to supplement the pellet unit. They will provide cooling, dehumidification and really good heat. It was 18* at my house this morning and my mshp was blowing 125* air. You then use them in combination for your comfort, convenience and economy

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

interesting ideas. hmm . . Iwould get it from the only kedel suppliler I know which is in Maine I am in VT
    the thing is do I have to have technical knowledge to use this? I am a lady with a young kid and a husband and neither husband nor I are very mechanical minded.
    good point about replacement parts - - - - I would have a service person who lives about 45 minutes away but parts is an interesting question

I am wavering but really want to get away from heating with oil

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Where are you in VT. Great country! Another alternative. I estimate that almost 5% of the homes and apts in the State of VT have Rinnai Energysavers in them. It is Propane or NG. You have to make the decision, but pellet boilers are expensive & being 45 minutes from any service, in VT, can cause problems or at least stress. Btw, I was the Rinnai rep in New England for 20 yrs. I'd suggest a combination of Rinnaienrgysavers and Fujitsu minisplits. That is how I heat my home.

In your circumstance, in a heavy heating area like VT, pellet boilers are an "exotic" in the industry. You can be one of the leading edge folks and maybe it will work out, but you really need to examine the local support structure and overlay that with your own "can do" abilities.

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you that is helpful information! I will consider all of that

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had been pretty sure I was gonna go for this but now I am a little nervous! Also, I could get a buderus propane boiler or something for about 10 thousand dollars less than the pellet so that is a huge consideration.

• Latebloomer
    10 years ago

Go here to this site.It should take you to the pellet mill.These people eat,sleep and live pellet stoves.They should answer any questions you will ever have...http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-pellet-mill-pellet-and-multifuel-stoves.14/
    Tony