Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkllb_gw

Busted Pipe in Radiant Floor Heat

kkllb
12 years ago

We just bought a vacation home in WI, just over 1000 sq ft,with radiant floor heat throughout the entire house. The house is one story, built on a concrete slab, and all of the flooring appears to be ceramic tile. We had a plumber in today to hook up the water and get the heat running. When he turned it on we found out there is a leak in one spot in/under the floor. This plumber said that there is no such thing as repairing pipes in radiant floor heat. He is having someone else come look at it next week to lay out our options, but he suggested that we may end up having to convert to forced air. We already have ductwork for A/C, but it is up near the ceilings. This seems like it would be really ineffective for a heating system. Can anyone tell me what my options might be? Is it true that you can't repair the pipes? Would we have to demo the floors in the entire house and replace it? I have absolutely no clue when it comes to this sort of thing, so any advice would be appreciated. We are planning on getting a professional second opinion (or two) before committing to anything, but that won't be for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)