Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Busted Pipe in Radiant Floor Heat

Posted by kkllb (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 21:38

We just bought a vacation home in WI, just over 1000 sq ft,with radiant floor heat throughout the entire house. The house is one story, built on a concrete slab, and all of the flooring appears to be ceramic tile. We had a plumber in today to hook up the water and get the heat running. When he turned it on we found out there is a leak in one spot in/under the floor. This plumber said that there is no such thing as repairing pipes in radiant floor heat. He is having someone else come look at it next week to lay out our options, but he suggested that we may end up having to convert to forced air. We already have ductwork for A/C, but it is up near the ceilings. This seems like it would be really ineffective for a heating system. Can anyone tell me what my options might be? Is it true that you can't repair the pipes? Would we have to demo the floors in the entire house and replace it? I have absolutely no clue when it comes to this sort of thing, so any advice would be appreciated. We are planning on getting a professional second opinion (or two) before committing to anything, but that won't be for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Busted Pipe in Radiant Floor Heat

Using infared take temp readings until you find the spot of the leak. pull up tile and remove portion of slab to get to the damaged tube. cut in tube coupling and test. wrap coupling to protect from direct connact with new concrete patch. This is your only way and can be done.

o

I think the bigger question is -- why did the pipe break?

In older systems -- pipes often corrode -- and where there is one leak, there are or soon will be more.

If it leaks, say, because the unit froze or b/c of an install defect, then fixing is feasible.

o

Sorry, I forgot to specify that the leak was caused from a frozen pipe. I wasn't aware of infrared readings, but have found some companies in the region that do it. I'm excited to find out that the floors/radiant heat can be saved, and we don't have to convert to a furnace at a cost of over $4000! Thanks for the help, and for easing my mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here