Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsmith23_gw

Opinion on Heil HVAC proposal

jsmith23
10 years ago

Hello,
Just received a proposal for a Heil HVAC system and a few other items to be installed. The sizing and what not is appropriate for my home and bid includes a completely new ducting system (current home has 35 year old ductboard throughtout!). Couple of questions:

1. T-stat models not specified....have asked contractor to revise. Any recommendations?

2. The furnace model is a 2-stage communicating furnace but the condenser unit is not. This was actually my choice based on the fact that this model uses an all stainless steel heat exchanger...communicating function was not the priority. With that being said Heil has a model down that is also 2-stage, non communicating, and aluminized heat exchanger. The communicating furnace has a better "no hassle" replacement warranty of 10 years rather than 5. Question is...Is it worth paying the communicating furnace although it won't be paried with a communicating condenser strictly because I prefer the all stainless heat exchanger?

3. Total cost for this install is $20K. I am in NJ so prices on HVAC are dodgy. I previously posted about a Trane bid I received for near identical work and it was only $1K more....so this is basically market value for the work in these parts. Now I have to make a decision. All things considered for apples to apples to comparison this Heil bid or a Trane bid for an XV-95 and XR 16 with all other work being equal. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Several points to be made...

1. Very frisky pricing
    2. Heil is not Trane
    3. You want a thermostat that is compatible with furnace both for staging and to take advantage of communication feature. Not clear if that is a proprietary model available from Heil only. Discuss with dealer. Do not allow staging through control board or else you will be on high stage practically all the time whether needed or not. Yes, this is a big deal. If communication feature is not of importance, go with HW VP IAQ stat. You need though to understand the capabilities you will lose by giving up the communication feature. For the price quoted, I would want the communicating condenser. Why shortchange yourself?
    4. For your location, furnaces are not to be placed in attic unless attic is truly conditioned/insulated. You will be subject to freeze ups if not.
    5. Get AHRI number to verify system meets qualifications for Fed Tax Credit. I doubt it does but it should for price quoted.
    6. I would want a whole house pleated filter media cabinet.
    7. Ductwork has adequate return(s) on each floor?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 11:03

• udarrell
    10 years ago

Well, I would not go ahead at 20K without a Home Energy Efficiency Audit, & after the retro work, an accurate load-calc.

New Jersey varies as to summer & winter design temps, however, your home would need to be rather large & not well weatherized to need 90K heating & 3.5-Ton of cooling.

Winter 99% is around 10ðF; 2.5% Summer design varies from 91ðF Newark; to around 88ðF at Trenton & Atlantic City. Humidity is rather high, so don't oversize or you'll have humidity problems...

Try doing your own Free Online whole house load-calc.

Excellent advice by tigerdunes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Online whole house load-calc

• airstarsupply
    10 years ago

Hard to determine if pricey not knowing the full scope of running duct work , etc.

HEIL is ICP , which is UTC , which is Carrier. Typically has a 10-year warranty if registered. All the same components as the Carrier Performer Systems. Comes off the EXACT same line as the Carrier Product.