Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latebloomer_gw

I think my HVAC Co, S###d me.

Latebloomer
10 years ago

Had to have my thermostat replaced on my electric heat pump unit.Call a conpany I've been using since early 90's and trusted there work and honesty.Tech checked it out and said I needed a new thermostat .He was here about 30 min. replaced it and gave me a bill for $293.00.
Today I went on line and got the price of the thermostat he used for replacement.It is a Honeywell FocusPro TH5000.The price was $30-$40 range for a FocusPro Non-Programmable, 1H/1C Thermostat.The company I've used long term charged me only $234.00 for the unit.The service call was $59.00 which I thought was fair.Like I said my total bill was $293.oo..Thought a fair price would be $130.00 -$160.00 .
I feel I have been way over charged???Am I wrong?
Thanks,
Tony

Comments (8)

• klem1
    10 years ago

I wouldn't say they over charged. The $59 service call is a hook,they don't work that cheap once on the job.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

$200 tops....

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Did you ask for a non-programmable thermostat? For a little more money you could have gotten a thermostat with more features. They might have given to you for the same price.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The horse is out of the gate Mike...

For a plain Jane thermostat like the one he received, he probably could have installed it himself.

There are different models of the Focus Pro made, all in $20-40 range in ebay.

IMO

• Latebloomer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been trying to talk to the owner of this company for two days.So far I haven't recieved a call back.They say he is out or in a meeting.Which I am shocked for no call back.This is a small home owned company that has always gave great service at a fair price.
    Thanks for the input...
    Tony

• roadking
    10 years ago

Service call is more like $90 - $100 where I'm at unless your a major customer (new home builder with numerous homes under construction..then it's $75.00). Any major additional time on the job extra of course.
    Would expect part to be marked up a significant percentage on a low cost small item to cover the cost of their employee driving company truck to the supplier to get it and overhead of their shop (somebody has to process the bill etc.)...so maybe $75 to $100 for that convenience might be fair. In your case your getting hosed.

Since you've used this company since the 90's you might want to go their place of business and ask to speak to someone about your bill...mention your long time loyalty to their company and ask for some consideration. Got a feeling they'll work with you on the bill.

If not time to look for another company.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

Tuition for the school of experience.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I don't want to get into a debate of how much a HVAC company should charge to install a new thermostat. I know I will never win that argument. However if the company it going to charge $293 for this service they should at least offer the customer the option of installing a programmable thermostat.

This is one of the reasons I try to help people whenever possible to install their own thermostats. Most of the time it is easy. There are some installations that are best left to a professional. This did not sound like one where a pro was necessary.