Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerda1940

Replacing AC system - advice really appreciated

gerda1940
9 years ago

We live in Central Florida - house is 2385 sq.ft. and 15 years old. Need to replace complete system.
Quotes: Carrier CH14NA042 and FV4CNF005 - $5580

25HCB648A003 and FV4CNF005 - $8600

25HBC548A003 and FV4NCF005 - $6175
25HBC548A003 and FX4DNF49L - $4950

25HBC548 and FV4CNB006 - $7000

25HCC548A003 and FV4CNF005LOO -$8356
AMANA ASZC16048,CAPF4961D,MBVC2000 -$6500

Another proposal included Trane, Bryant, Amana and Goodman!

Most of the dealers proposed Carrier - I haven't looked deeply into other systems.

Shall we install UV light?

Current dead system is TRANE, 3.5 Ton

Helping me making the decision would be very much appreciated!

Comments (18)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

On coast or inland?

IMO

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are inland - near Orlando

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

First of all, if going up in size from 3 1/2 to 4 ton condenser, ductwork needs inspecting to see if it can carry the extra CFMs. Both supply and return. How many returns do you have?

Regarding your quotes, these came from different dealers?

These are 2 Carrier systems that I would be looking at.
    The 2 stage Performance 16 and the Sgl stage Performance 15 system.

6936859 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCB648A**31 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 1120 47000 12.50 16.00 46500 9.00 29200 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 355 1077 Yes

6938245 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE SERIES PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCC548A**30 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 46500 12.50 15.00 45000 8.50 27400 1 HRCU-A-CB 375 1140 Yes

You should insist on the FV4CN(B,F)005L var speed air handler with "L" suffix.

You should insist on Carrier's Edge Thermidistat controller for handling humidity. New lineset if old is wrong size. New filter media box cabinet if you don't already have one.

Not a fan of Amana or Goodman.

Bryant same as Carrier.

Am Standard same as Trane.

IMO

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Tigerdunes. The air handler FV4CNB006 - states "modular" on Carrier site - what is the difference - should I insist on the CNF005L?

I could not find the CH14NA042 (lowest quote) on Carrier's site - do you have some thoughts about this?

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should we have the UV light installed? Read it could damage coils?

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tigerdunes - yes these qoutes are from different dealers.

We don't have a filter media box - it seems to be different from the Carrier "filter rack" - should it be installed under or next to the air handler? Seems better than the filter rack.

There are two air returns - one about 15" x 30" in the house near the air handler which is in the garage. The other is about 15" x15" in the master bedroom which is about 20 ft. from air handler. We are adding a supply duct to a storage room next to the garage - about 10 ft. from handler and right next to the main air return.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I checked the AHRI directory's performance/efficiency numbers on various high efficient configurations. There was no advantage to the 006L var speed air handler. The 005L model will be fine. And for modular, that means 2 PC air handler that has to be assembled together. Not a big deal if needed and space is available.

Existing lineset must be checked for size if dealer plans to reuse. Otherwise a new lineset should be installed.

A filter cabinet would go on return end of air handler. Besides better indoor air quality, the major benefit is to protect coil and blower motor.

You need another return in your house, minimum to handle 1800 CFMs. I suspect you are undersized. Discuss with dealer what you have now and best strategic location to add another return.

Insist on Carrier Edge Thermidistat control.

Where is ductwork system located? Dealer suggested UV light? If so, why?

Why are you going up in size? A load calc for correct sizing has been performed?

You have a budget for your replacement system?

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I would not spend any money on UV lights. In my opinion it is an item you don't need.

Did the old 3.5 ton AC keep the house cool when it was working well? If it did then there is no reason why you have to increase the size to 4 tons. You are in a humid climate. You want the size to match the required cooling load as close as possible. Slightly under sizing the unit would be better than over sizing it. You should find a contractor will who do a load calculation if you are going to increase the size.

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Tigerdunes and Mike.
    Some areas in the house were not comfortable with the old unit. Only one dealer did a load calc using Rheem software and recommended a 4 ton.. One dealer stated because of the age of the house we need to upgrade.

Thank you for checking the efficiency number Tigerdunes.

All dealers state they will flush lineset but nothing about sizing it.

I gave each a copy of the houseplan - one measured the return duct but none mentioned increasing the number or mentioned the size of the ducts! Could this be why the part of the house further from the return was not very comfortable?

The ductwork is in the attic and the air handler is in the garage.

2 Dealers recommend the UV light - stating it keeps the system clean. (These were all Carrier certified dealers)

Regarding a budget for replacing system: We are in our 70's - hoping to live here untill the end - hoping to get the unit that will give us the least trouble. At this point I just about feel as if I would go with the HCB because the 4 ton evidently runs some % of time at lower levels and does not seem to matter if oversized also seems to be in use since the 90's? It would be nice not to overspend if not needed. Would have been great to have someone like Tigerdunes - with your knowledge and concerns install the unit for us!

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since the "Big names" did not mention important facts I decided to call a company recommended by a neighbor. This is a "one-man" operation and he has been in bussiness 8 years. He instals only Bryant. Would you recommend Bryant?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Bryant is sister company to Carrier and basically identical from model to model with exception of badging and cabinetry.

Both good equipment. My major objection to either brand's heat pumps is their time/temp defrost feature. Electronic demand defrost is preferred. However this is less an issue based on your location.

To sum up, I have heard nothing from you to indicate a UV light s needed.

You need additional return especially in the areas that have hot/cold spots. Total return for your home should be minimum 1600-1800 CFMs. Ductwork needs a thorough evaluation both supply and return since you are considering going up in size.

Unless you just like to spend money, I see no reason going to either Carrier Infinity or Bryant Evolution.

I stand by my earlier recommendation of the 2 stage Performance 16 HP. See below.

6936859 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCB648A**31 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 1120 47000 12.50 16.00 46500 9.00 29200 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 355 1077 Yes

Same system available from Bryant dealer.

I like smaller dealers because I think you get a better install. However, one man shops deserve caution. Is he a Bryant authorized dealer?

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"2 Dealers recommend the UV light - stating it keeps the system clean"

The only thing UV lights would clean is your wallet. Put the money towards a 4 inch filter. Change the filter every 6-12 months and your ducts will be clean.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

forgot about the filter.

Agree with Mike about whole house 4-5 " pleated filter media cabinet.

TD

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Tigerdunes and Mike - value your help and information! The Bryant dealer is an "certified dealer".

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"one-man" Dealer suggested Bryant 225BNA048000 with the FV4CNF005LOO - $5,903 - also gave quote for 226ANA048000 with FV4CNF - $7,339. Tigerdunes, these are the same as the Carrier units you recommended? He came earlier than expected and I forgot to ask about the filter media box - e-mailed him with request. He says duct-work is sufficient for 4 ton - will carry at least 1600 CFM. Thank you again!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Same as two Carrier systems I listed earlier. See below.

6950657 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED SERIES PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 225BNA048****A FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 46500 12.50 15.00 45000 8.50 27400 1 HRCU-A-CB 375 1140 Yes

6936820 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED 16 PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 226ANA048****B FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 1120 47000 12.50 16.00 46500 9.00 29200 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 355 1077 Yes

I would think a 10 KW emergency heat strip, about 35 KBTUs.

Add Carrier or Bryant Edge Thermidistat that will give you dehumidify on demand, no substitute.

Plus the pleated filter media cabinet.

And definitely add more return strategically located.

IMO

• gerda1940
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for spending your time to help Tigerdunes! Wish I could do something for you!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Make sure about refrigerant lineset.if going up in size.

If dealer intends to reuse old, it must be correct size. Close does not count. If not right size, insist on new lineset, save old and take to scrap yard for copper value.

Worth the trouble.

Good Luck,
    TD