Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Constant water entering and running through Aprilaire humidifier

SparklingWater
11 years ago

Hello. I have an Aprilaire wall-mounted, furnace-connected with thermostat older model humidifier which was recently serviced and was told all was "ok" by the HVAC man. Just yesterday the same company's plumber tightened up the top nut on the valve to solve minor water leaking. The valve controls the flow of water to the humidifier and comes off of the gas water heater.

I am disturbed by the amount of constant water entering the sump pump from the humidifier, even occurring when the furnace is off. It's not just a minor drip, but more like a considerable constant run drip. I don't think this is normal and wish your opinion. I can't even imagine our future water bill if I were to let this go unattended. I have a 80% dual stage American Standard gas furnace and realize water is a combustion by-product, so water would be more prominent when the furnace is running. But this is water to sump pump is constant.

Is it normal for water to be flowing through a dedicated line to the humidifier, when the furnace is off? I can hear the water spraying through into the filter box.

Sounds to me like I have a valve problem or am missing some "stop" which engages when the furnace turns off. I have once again turned this turn valve off until I know what's up.

Thank you for any and all help. I may cross post this in plumbing as this valve has been checked twice in 2 months, but I don't understand why, when open, it constantly feeds the Aprilaire humidifier and lends to chronic water usage and loss.

Comment (1)