Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

I need to make proposal decision long distance and fast

celticmoon
9 years ago

2480 sf row house in Tampa/Sarasota area, built c 2005. This is our future retirement home and we have a tenant living there. The A/C has failed and I need to act quickly. I live 1000 miles away, and worse, I am away on vacation this week. Would very much appreciate input/advice on several options.

1) try a repair. Refilling/repairing older Freon system would run $700ish & up. The Goodman condenser unit is pretty rusted and I am told the fix may not last 2 years.

2)Comfortmaker 15 seer, 3.5 ton 5 kw heat pump system NXH542GKA, air handler FXM4X4300AT, 10 year warranty. $475 FPL rebate gets this to $4530

3) Trane 13 seer, 3.5 ton, 5 kw heat pump system 4TWB3042, air handler TEM3A0C48, 10 year warranty for $4997

4)Trane Xl 18i 2 stage. 17 seer, 4.0 ton, 5 kw heat pump system 4TWX8048, air handler TAM7A0C48, 12 year warranty. Current FLP/MFG rebates of $1420 get this down to $7700

This home is by water, between Manatee River & Terra Ceia Bay, so rust resistance is a consideration. And we do plan to live there ourselves (please, please, some day) so cooling/dehumidifying cost savings over time is also a consideration.

I have a little OCD, so I usually over-research everything. I hate this urgency. I have lost too many precious vacation hours grappling with this, yet I still don't understand well the options, costs and risks.

Could one of you experts reassure me that these proposals are not way out of line cost wise? (I am jumpy because I recently lost several thousand dollars at the lease resigning due to a technicality. Lesson learned.)

Secondly, any thoughts across the choices? Dehumidifying is more critical to me than lowering the temp to 60s or low 70s. With the financing option, we could go with choice #4 if the savings will be there over time,,,( I have no regrets over buying a better HVAC system for my Wisconsin home a couple years ago. I am psycho frugal except when it doesn't make sense.)

I would appreciate any input. I have learned a lot reading these threads.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Comments (14)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Don't care for any of the above, except the more expensive XL18i. Definitely not 1,2,3.

Here is a Trane budget choice, XR13 system.

4563324 Active Systems TRANE XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3042B1 *AM7A0C36H31 1290 42500 12.00 14.50 41000 8.50 26400 1 HRCU-A-CB 363 935

And more of a second premium Trane system, XR17 2 stage 4 ton. Weigh this choice against the XL18i you were quoted.

5768477 Active Systems TRANE XR17 TRANE 4TWR7048A1 *AM7A0C48H41 1410 1050 47000 12.50 17.00 46000 9.00 30000 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 343 1103 Yes

Of course the appropriate thermostat and correctly sized heat strip, probably a 10 KW based on your location.

IMO

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

td.
    thank you so much for your input. was hoping you would weigh in.

The XR 17 2 stage is different from the XL 18i 2 stage how exactly? Is it a generation thing or features? Can you direct me somewhere to learn more?

BTW, thermostat quioted for the Xl 18i is TCON 624. Ceilings are 9 ft, no vaulted ceilings.

Again thank you!

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

td.
    thank you so much for your input. was hoping you would weigh in.

The XR 17 2 stage is different from the XL 18i 2 stage how exactly? Is it a generation thing or features? Can you direct me somewhere to learn more?

BTW, thermostat quioted for the Xl 18i is TCON 624. Ceilings are 9 ft, no vaulted ceilings.

Again thank you!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The XR17 system is a premium 2 stage system similar to the 2 stage XL18i system. Two major differences. The XL18i has the proprietary condenser top plus an extra 2 yr warranty on the compressor, from 10 yr to 12 yr..

You can always go to Trane residential website and look at the heat pump section.

Not sure about that thermostat selection. I would want HW Prestige 2.0 on either XR17 or XL18i for best dehumidification, dehumidify on demand in AC cooling.

IMO

• malba2366
    9 years ago

How long before you plan on living there yourself? Remember the heat pump has a 10-15 year life expectancy. If you will not be living there for 10+ years put in the cheapest system from a reputable installer/manufacturer and call it a day.

• sktn77a
    9 years ago

It's generally not the best idea to buy an expensive item (like HVAC) with a gun to your head! Especially long distance and on vacation. What repairs are needed? Get a couple more estimates on the repairs. A gas-and-go with some sealant shouldn't cost more that $400 and if you only have a small leak, should last a year or more to give you time to make a more informed and relaxed decision.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

malba, will not begin to live there ourselves until 2016 or 2017, not sure for how long, but prob more than a few years.

td, just spent a couple hours on the Trane site. My takeaway: XB is basic grade (anyTrane being relatively good especially in coastal areas), then comes XR or 'premium'. High end variants are XLi with the covered top & XV indicating variable speed. Higher numerals = more efficiency - usually. Numeral 13-15 indicates single stage, 16-18 two stage, 20 means dual compressors. Making the XV20i the most tricked out option. OK.

So the XR13 you recommended is a solid performing single stage while the XR17 is two stage. The XL18i I was quoted is a two stage with closed top, over which you prefer the XR17.

Question:"two stage" gets me what? The dual compressors and the variable speed bits are well explained on the Trane site, but I am not understanding the essence of one vs two stage.

I see that the XR17 is 3 or 4 ton, with no 3.5 option. Would the XL15i be much better than the XR13 for a 3.5 single stage option? I think I read you have an i series unit yourself and do not think it is quieter.

I remain ever grateful for the help here.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

skin, just saw your post. Agree the urgency is not optimal.

It is a good time to buy a Trane though, with both the rebates and 0% financing available this week until Dec 15.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The XR13 system I suggested is a good upgrade to Trane's XB series. Basic single stage system, reliable.

The XL18i is a two stage system with Trane's proprietary top. Has 12 yr warranty on compressor which is a two stage step compressor. Low stage is about 65-70% output of high stage.

The XR17 is a good choice to the XL18i if you want to save sime dollars. only a 10 yr warranty on the compressor. Efficiency numbers depending on air handler size very similar.

You will get better comfort and dehumidification with the 2 stage models. Of course they are only available in full ton sizes, no 1/2 ton sizes. If you go to the 4 ton model, dealer must check ductwork to see if it can handle the extra CFMs, both supply and returns. I definitely would recommend a media filter cabinet. I like Trane's Perfect Fit model. I have already given you my recommendation on thermostat selection. For the single stage model like XR13, XR15, XL15i, you could drop down to the HW Mdl 8321 thermostat.

The XV18 and XV20 variable condensers are relatively new to the market. I personally would pass on those models since there is not enough field history yet.

My 10 yr old XL14i HP condenser is quiet. Only repair ever on the condenser was a cheap capacitor last summer covered under warranty.

Just so you know, some homeowners in Tampa area just go straight AC and heat with a heat strip when necessary. Location is borderline. I probably would go with heat pump especially if budget is not a factor.

IMO

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Celtic, I live in Miami so am somewhat familiar at least with the basics of HVAC needs in Florida. I tend to agree it's not a good idea to feel rushed about putting in a whole new system. I'd recommend you get onto the Tampa/Sarasota Angie's List and find a well recommended AC source there. Down here there are many, many AC vendors from quasi-corporate firms to individuals who are licensed and resell major brands. And a unit that was installed in 2005 shouldn't be on the verge of complete failure I'd also suggest you ease up on immersing yourself in the intricacies of HVAC systems. Really, unless you are going into the business yourself trying to do a crash course on the technology just isn't necessary. You know you want a heat pump which I agree is smart; although we don't get chilly weather often it's nice to have when we do. I'd strongly suggest you place higher weight on good energy efficiency. AC down here runs almost every single day of the year, for decades. That monthly electric bill is important to consider and a high SEER will more than pay for itself in the long run. I think the most important facet is a good vendor. Trane is pricey because of the name. There are a lot of companies who make very good central systems at a lower cost.

For comparison, I am finishing the renovation of a rental property I inherited. It had a Carrier central system that was installed in 1998(!). The AC was working when I got the house but knowing it would need to be replaced I got several estimates. They came in ranging from $3500-$5000. I got one last referral from my contractor, who turned out to be a young guy just starting out on his own. He quoted me for the same system at $2500! Did a great job and everything is running fine.

So my long winded response is: don't panic, don't feel you need to turn into an HVAC expert. Get the thing running now, find a good vendor source, have a solid energy efficient system put it in, and you'll be fine.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the perspective, running.

TD, I am convinced of the value of dehumidifying on demand. To get that, do I need variable speed in the air handler? Does that require a 2 stage system and the upgraded thermostat? But not the variable compressor V series, correct?

Closing in...

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Yes you need a matching var speed air handler. Not necessary though to have a two stage condenser or the Var speed condenser. A single stage condenser works just fine. you must have the correct thermostat though that has DOD feature. Understand this is for AC cooling only. And a dealer who knows how to install.

IMO

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TD,

Again thank you so much for your patience and generosity with information. It is a kindness to help strangers the way you do.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Agree with tigerdunes about system selection.

XL624 thermostat is a great thermostat, will take full advantage of all Trane's non communicating systems if wired properly. Will control 2 compressor stages and do dehumidify on demand with the TAM7.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida