Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair to HVAC flex duct covering - need advice

Posted by rrr1234 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 17:26

The gray plastic covering on my home's HVAC flex ducting is beginning to crack. I don't think there is too much air loss, but I'd like to fix it before it gets worse. Rather than replace all the ducting (expensive), is there a way to 're-wrap' the ducting? For example, I was thinking that Tyvek could be used. Are there any other wrapping materials out there that can help keep the cost down without replacing all the ducting?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair to HVAC flex duct covering - need advice

if they have split..I've never tried to repair them,
not much cost to replace.
to repair the duct would have to be clean and dry
and then use a mastic tape, but it won't stick if
surfaces are not clean and dry.
usually gray duct splits due to uv rays. wrapping them with another vapor barrier can cause condensation problems.

best of luck

o

Is it a grey covering or a silver one? when the grey starts falling apart there isn't much help for it. Here in georgia the extreme temps of most attics breaks down the outer and inner plastic on that kind of flex. Flex duct is something that most handy homeowners can replace themselves in most cases......... just a thought.

o

save your money for new duct work other than that don't mess with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here