Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does capacitor keeping breaking?

Posted by hard8hopping (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 17:19

My Day & Night furnace/blower has stopped working in the middle of the night twice now, each time requiring a replacement of a capacitor. The repair guy said the system is cycling too much because we leave the system on all day and night, set to a constant 72. This is in Los Angeles and we've been having a cold spell for the past week so the unit prob is on and off more than usual... BUT this hardly seems like abnormal usage. Is he right? Thanks for your feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does capacitor keeping breaking?

How do these kind of people stay in business? No,he is not right and I hope you didn't pay him more than $75 because that's $73 more than he's worth. Many people run thier blower 24/7 for reasons ranging from inhanced air filteration to offseting poor air distribution.
Based on his hare brained observation,I'm betting the first cap went bad as they do under normal conditions once in a blue moon. The secound time was likly because the knot head installed the wrong cap.
That's not to say caps can't go bad twice in a short time,but it's unusual,esp if everything is wired correct and there isn't a weird short circuit or such.

o

I would be willing to bet the capacitors contained a sub standard electrolyte which caused premature failure. Had a tv fail 1 month after warranty ran out, 4 caps , all blown. This was a major problem several years ago especially for electronic manufacturers.

o

How long did the first capacitor last and were you charged for the second replacement?

The capacitor failure has nothing to do with setting your thermostat at 72.

I just checked the temperature in LA. It is 44 degrees. This is considered a warm winter day for many parts of the country. Your furnace has an easy life living in LA.

o

Was the replacement capacitor the exact same capacitance value and equal or higher voltage rating as compared to the original 'correct' capacitor?

SR

o

I agree.

Either a bad bunch or wrong size/rating.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here