Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yagersmom

Blower Motor - Rip Off?

yagersmom
16 years ago

I stumbled upon this forum when I found post where a similar question to mine was asked. I'm hoping someone out there can help me delve into this a little further than the other gal did.

The blower motor (Model #HD44AE131) went out a few months ago on our Carrier Heat Pump (Model #FK4CNF002). Our neighbor is a distributor/installer for Carrier so, of course, he promised a great deal. And why wouldn't we go with him? After all, he's the one we purchased the system from initially.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the warranty should have been on this part? I was thinking 10 years. We purchased the system within the last 10 years. He tells us that the part was not covered under warranty.

2. Can anyone tell me what a distributor's cost would be for the motor? We really thought that he wouldn't charge us much, if anything, over his cost. We received a bill for $970. Not only did we about fall out of our chair when we saw the total, my husband went into the attic in 100+ heat, diagnosed the problem and removed the bad motor. We then had to wait a week to get the part. It was sent to our home. My husband went back up into the attic and installed the new motor. We were looking forward to the cost savings. Ha-Ha. Now, a technician did have to come out - he spent about 30 minutes here making some sort of adjustment. That's it.

So, I'm wanting to know just what it is that we are paying for. I know that I need to ask our neighbor. Before I do that, though, I want to be prepared by having done my own homework on the issue. Can anyone tell me what we should be expected to pay in such a situation? The bare minimum as well as the max? Yes, we're budget-conscious, but we're also fair. We just want to be sure that our neighbor is being fair as well.

Thanks,

Yagersmom

Comments (22)

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

Most factory replacement motors have a 1 year warranty...a new furnace may have 5 years on certain parts. You'd just have to do some research on your paperwork..not familiar with that particular motor...Some brands have to have OEM replacements and can be expensive. If that's a DC variable speed motor they can be VERY pricy. If it's a universal replacement style, (and not saying it is), they cost my customers under 100. Prices vary from area to area around the country.

• capecodcook
    16 years ago

Go to this link. You will find your part there. If the control module was changed out also, total is about $850. Have no idea who this is, just googled your motor part number.

Here is a link that might be useful: replacement parts

• yagersmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tinmantu: It is a variable speed motor. I'm sure that counts for much of the cost. Thanks.

Capecodcook: Thanks for the link. I actually had seen that, too. The fact that the motor is listed there for $500-something is part of what made me post my questions here.

I'm still eager to read what anyone else has to say.

• don21
    16 years ago

Factory branded replacement motors ARE pricey . . . . if there isn't a generic branded replacement available, you'll probably pay about triple (or more) what the motor actually should sell for on the open market because you're buying it from an 'authorized parts repair facility'

If you're lucky enough to have a model for which there is an off-brand, generic motor available, you'll easily save 2/3rds and probably even a little more

It's just the nature of the beast - When they know they have you over a barrel, it's just natural for them to whip the hell out of you, I guess :(

Don

• garyg
    16 years ago

This is the exact reason why I chose a 3-speed motor for my new Goodman air handler, even though there is a 10 year parts warranty. I didn't want to pay this ridiculous amount for an ECM motor if it should fail out of the warranty period, or if it had a more restrictive warranty because it was a motor.

The mark-up on HVAC parts is typically 300%.

My entire Goodman air handler was $700.

Good luck.

• garyg
    16 years ago

$1000 for a blower motor? Not unless the windings were made of gold instead of copper.

• hiltonheadacguy
    16 years ago

That blower motor is variable speed. If it is a Carrier branded motor, then yes-- it will be pricey but I think 970 is a little over the top, even my market which has some of the highest repair costs in the country. My flat rate price for this motor for a non contract customer is $650, plus the diagnostic fee.

• trane_man
    16 years ago

I agree with hiltonhead on this, even our flat rate pricing is not close to that.

• jehiatt
    16 years ago

Your helpful neighbor needs the money or had no pull to get a employee discount.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

Nope, I personally think most people will eventually catch on. You are going to spend more money on a system that is energy efficient, the more efficient and cheaper to run the more it will cost you. But, alas, your energy bills have been cut drastically. But, here's the clincher, all that money you're saving,, you just get to keep it for a while. Those new energy efficient systems and some of their components are also considerably more to repair,,,,, there went your savings! They got you by the short hairs folks,,,one way or another.

• garyg
    16 years ago

I stayed with the fixed speed motor for my new Goodman. The SEER rating was only .5 higher with the v-s (12.5 vs 12), the HSPF was actually lower (8.75 for v-s versus 9 for fixed speed), and the btu rating for the fixed speed was 1000 more than the v-s.

Plus, a $100 future motor replacement cost vs $1000? Sh%t, my entire air handler was only $700.

I'm sure the price of the v-s motor will come down in cost in the future as other mfrs begin to produce them. Currently, I believe only GE is the sole producer. V-S motors may also become standard for the compressor as well as the condenser fan, as mfrs continue to increase efficiency.

• tigerdunes
    16 years ago

Yagersmom

This appears to be an R-22 Carrier Var spd air handler with a 5 yr warranty.

FK4

Performance
    Warranty 5-year limited parts
    Cooling Capacity (BTUH) 18,000 - 60,000
    Controls
    Controls Supported Thermidistat
    Diagnostics --
    Technology
    Refrigerant R-22
    Features Thermostatic Expansion Valve
    Filter Washable Filter
    Blower High efficiency, variable speed
    Installation Multipoise
    Aesthetics
    Construction 20-gage galvanized
    Paint

Did your neighbor give you a deal? Don't think so...

IMO

• garyg
    16 years ago

"Did your neighbor give you a deal? Don't think so..."

Nice neighbors. Maybe "Yagersmom" can return the favor one day - have your dog pee on their condenser - that'll teach 'em.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

To hell with the dog, they should do it themselves! :-)

• zl700
    16 years ago

A V/S 3T motor cost to the distibutor with module is
    Take carrier that in infamous with parts mark up 1.75%
    and you get - $936.00 (58% G.P.)

• garyg
    16 years ago

"A V/S 3T motor cost to the distibutor with module is
    Take carrier that in infamous with parts mark up 1.75%
    and you get - $936.00 (58% G.P.)"

- That mark-up is actually 75%. Ridiculous. She got screwed by her neighbor, and didn't even enjoy it. LOL!!

"To hell with the dog, they should do it themselves! :-)"

- I say we down some beers and do it ourselves.

Take care.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    7 years ago

Paul Stewart - not true. The problem is many times people choose companies that are just in the business to sell you something. There is very little anyone can do these days to avoid electronic control boards and such. There will always be repair costs to any system you choose.

I post my own utility bills since 2010 - 2011 time period. Most of the time my costs to run my AC system is around $30 to $35 a month. Realize this system of mine is a specialized system.

People would rather look for a 'miracle cure' or 'snake oil solution' to their Air Conditioning problems.

My Air Conditioning Costs (You Tube Channel)

• w711970
    7 years ago

Let's keep this thread going!!!

My general contractor purchased a Carrier split system for our new home in 2007. He told us that we had a 10 year warranty on all parts and labor on it. Less than a year later it BROKE DOWN! So the original dealer came out and fixed it for free. I think the very next year, it BROKE DOWN AGAIN! But when they came out and fixed it, I was given a bill! So I called and told them I had a 10 year warranty on all parts and labor and shouldn't have been given a bill. That is when I found out that I DIDN'T HAVE ANY WARRANTY AT ALL because THEY HAD FORGOTTEN to register my system within 60 days of installing it! Since that was their fault, I wasn't paying for it and they ate that charge. The very next year, it broke down again! Ridiculous! So I called a different dealer and they fixed it for ~$150 which I had to pay since I had no warranty. I think it was the next year that it BROKE DOWN AGAIN!!! That time, I went back to the original dealer because the other dealer was covered up and they replaced a $200 part on it they said was bad but it didn't fix the problem. They eventually figured out the problem was that we didn't have enough air vents open so I didn't even need that $200 part! Idiots! But even more stupid was me agreeing to pay that bill! Then the next year it BROKE DOWN AGAIN! So, since I didn't trust the original dealer by then, I called another dealer and they fixed it for ~$175. Finally, after BREAKING DOWN 4 TIMES IN 5 YEARS, the system ran without breaking down at all for 3 years straight! Woo hoo! Unfortunately, this year, it's ALREADY BROKEN DOWN TWICE! Once for $165 and just this week for $1100! That is BS! I'm back with the original dealer who is telling me that my blower motor BURNED OUT AFTER ONLY 9 YEARS! And I live in middle TN so we only use our heat and/or AC maybe 8 months a year! So, IMO, Carrier products are TERRIBLE QUALITY! My old house had a Goodman heat pump and it's still there and working after 23 years and still has the original motor and compressor!!! I've only had to pay $100 on 4 different occasions in 23 years for a burned out relay switch on my old Goodman heat pump. So, CARRIER STINKS in comparison! There should be a lemon law for heat pump systems because I sure got a LEMON FROM CARRIER!

• Virginia Tomasian
    3 years ago

In California you are not required to register an AC within a timefeame to preserve the 10 year warranty. It's done by the builder. Carrier shared this with me and it's on their website.

• Virginia Tomasian
    3 years ago

My blower motor was leaking some type of oil and parts covered and builder paid the labor. Carrier AC was only 1.5 years old

• Mini-Split Warehouse
    3 years ago

If a limited warranty is filed for a new system within a certain time period, the limited warranty for the system can last up to 10 years depending on the manufacturer. If limited warranty if filed late, the warranty reverts to 5 years for parts.

Keep in mind that if equipment is replaced at year 8 under a 10-year limited warranty, the new equipment installed under warranty will carry 2 more years under warranty. Manufacturers will cover the remainder of the warranty period or one year, whichever is longer. It will likely the new equipment will last much longer than a year, but this fulfills their warranty obligation.

https://www.heatingair.org/

Manufacturers often require the part to be returned so they can verify the part is indeed faulty. If they find the part has been replaced but is still good, the HVAC contractor will be liable for not only the cost of the part but also an additional financial penalty. Because of the hoops there are to jump through that are largely invisible to the customer, some HVAC contractors won’t handle warranty service and will refer that business elsewhere.