Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robar_gw

Was my Carrier pressure switch changed.....you decide!

robar
10 years ago

I recently had a problem with my one year old Carrier gas furnace. I had posted on here before explaining how the furnace would kick on and off repeatedly or not kick on at all. The trouble code that flashed on the furnace (31) indicated that the problem was the pressure switch. I contacted my Carrier dealer who installed the furnace and a repairman was sent to check the furnace. He checked it out and I was told a new pressure switch would be ordered. Just from him checking the furnace, etc., the faulty pressure switch worked for the next month. (they forgot to order another pressure switch). A month after the repairman's initial visit, the pressure switch went bad again. The repairman came a second time and played around with everything.......and the pressure switch worked again. The 'new' pressure switch finally arrived about three weeks later and he came to my house to replace the faulty pressure switch. Now this is where things get interesting. When the repairman came to my house and saw that the furnace had been working properly since his last visit.....he said "maybe I shouldn't replace the pressure switch since the furnace is working".....I said to him "you might as well change it since you're here and you have the new one with you." He agreed with me to change it. At that moment my next door neighbor called my phone and wanted to give me something outside. I then went upstairs and out my back door......I was tied up with my neighbor no longer then three minutes. I immediately returned to the basement and the repairman was done replacing the pressure switch. I doubt very seriously that he changed it. The box that housed the new pressure switch had one side open and some foam paper that the pressure switch was wrapped in was sticking out. There is no way he could have replaced the pressure switch that fast. I did not confront him about this. At the very least.....if the switch stops working again.....it's covered by my warranty. Did he change my pressure switch?.......I want to hear your feedback. He had the new pressure switch with him, so why the hesitation to install it? I had trouble with the old switch twice......even though it was working when he came to my house.....he knew it was faulty. Your opinions, please, Was it possible for him to be 'speedy gonzales'.......and replace the switch in a few quick minutes? I have a 99% gut feeling that I was duped.

This post was edited by robar on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:51

Comments (6)

• zl700
    10 years ago

If it matters, I can change a pressure switch in about 25 seconds or less

• fluffybunnysui
    10 years ago

You might keep track of the wind outside on the days your furnace isn't working. I had 3 gas furnace calls in 1 day this winter & they all seemed to have bad pressure switches. I replaced 1(York 80% 7.5 ton) and had to order the other 2 (Rheem 80% 4 ton & 6 month old York 95% 4 ton). 2 days later I got the Rheem switch in and called the homeowner to set up a time to install it but he said that it had been working fine. I called the other homeowner with the new York 95% and he said the same thing. All 3 of these calls were in my small town here in S.Texas on the day a northerner blew in with winds around 40mph gusts. My guess is the high winds that day were causing the pressure switches to open & close out of sequence, throwing fault code relating to malfunction p.switches.
    I also can change a p.switch in about a minute as well...lol

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't care how fast any of you can replace the compressor switch. It's not a contest about who can do it the fastest. It's a question in my case as to whether or not the switch was replaced. I don't think it was replaced. The repairman could not do it that fast.....under normal conditions. But that's okay....I'm still under warranty.

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was correct about the pressure switch......it was not replaced. The repairman pulled his scam. It is now the coldest day of the year and the pressure switch went out. The trouble code is now flashing again (31) and the furnace is short cycling. I have to call the place where I bought the furnace.....this will be the third time the repairman has come to my house. Again.......thank you Mr. Repairman......your scam backfired on you.

This post was edited by robar on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 10:17

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Keep us updated on how this plays out. From reading your posts my feeling is the pressure switch is not the problem.

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Carrier repairman just left. The third and final part has been replaced. Hopefully the problem is solved. First to be replaced about a month ago was a small plastic part ( don't know the name of it).....water collects in this part, it's maybe two inches think......it sits upright and is clear on one side and white on the other.....this did not solve the problem. The next to be changed was the compressor switch (which was not changed when i posted on here saying there was no way he could change it that fast)........this pressure switch was changed last week.......but it was still not the problem. Today, the inducer was changed......big black plastic part
    with a motor attached to it. Hopefully, this will complete the repair. The repairman came to my how for this problem about 7 or 8 times.....no charge to me though. The furnace is only a year and a half old. Let's hear what the inducer does......also the plastic water collection plastic box......explain this also.