Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help evaluating furnace quotes

Posted by dexteroni (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 16:15

Hello, this is my first time here but there's so much good information, and I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of advice.

We are replacing our 21-year old gas furnace that has rust, holes, and a crack. Our house is small, around 1350 s.f., old but fairly well insulated, and has newer windows.

The heat load analysis has determined that we need around 57,000 BTUs. We've had quotes for models ranging from 60,000 - 80,000 BTUs. They are all 95% - 96%, to qualify for the tax credit.

Here are the quotes:

Amana AMH95 - single stage - 70,000 BTU - $2500
Amana AMV95 - 2-stage, variable speed - 70,000 BTU - $3200
American Standard Freedom 95 - single stage - 60,000 BTU - $2279
American Standard Freedom 95 - 2-stage variable speed - 60,000 BTU - $2589
Carrier Comfort 95 - single stage - 80,000 BTU - $2860
Goodman GMH95 - 2-stage, variable-speed - 70,000 BTU - $2580
Trane XR95 - single stage - 60,000 BTU - $2800
Trane XV95 - 2-stage, variable-speed - 60,000 BTU - $3600

Which of these models are good or bad? I think I understand the advantages of the 2-stage, variable-speed models - quieter, more efficient. Do you think it's worth the increased cost? Especially with the Trane - it seems to have a good reputation, but is by far the most expensive. And what about the BTUs - is 60,000 too few at a 95% efficiency?

If you need any more info to give a good evaluation, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help evaluating furnace quotes

dex

what is your location?

out of those listed, this would be my choice.

American Standard Freedom 95 - 2-stage variable speed - 60,000 BTU - $2589

it is identical to the XV95 at bottom of your list.

you will need a good two stage thermostat like the HW 8000 series.

any plans for a good filter cabinet? I would definitely get one like the Honeywell 200.

what about AC needs?

IMO

o

tiger - Thanks! We're in Cleveland, OH.

All of the quotes include a new programmable digital thermostat appropriate for the furnace. None of them mentioned a specific thermostat model - should I ask?

The most commonly quoted air cleaner is the Aprilaire 2210. Is that a good model?

The AC is newer and is in good shape.

o

dex

you will cripple the capability of a nice two stg furnace without a good matching two stage thermostat. ask for HW 8321 with humidity sensor.

I would opt for the HW 200 air cleaner over the Aprilaire.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here