Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Replaced board in condenser - now thermostat burns up

karyn
9 years ago

We have a heat pump HVAC system that had the condenser unit stop working - the fan would blow inside but no A/C. The tech said the board in the unit (outside) was bad and replaced it. He also said a wire in there was bad and replaced. It worked when he was here, but I turned it off because we didn't need it. A few days later nothing is working and a "burn" spot shows up on the display of our thermostat LCD. I took it off the wall and can clearly see it got fried by receiving too much electricity. (see pic) it's only supposed to get low voltage and it apparently got 120V.

Here's the thing - he's coming back Monday but tried to say over the phone that there is no way what he did could cause this type of (high) voltage to melt the thermostat so it has to be something else. I don't believe it since it was clearly connected to this "repair" job.

Can any expert comment as to if/if not tinkering incorrectly around in the condenser electronics can cause other problems down the lines such as this. We are not liking the idea of being tricked into paying for damage he might have caused in the first repair process.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (6)