Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buderus & Rheem vs Burnham & Bryant

Posted by bernerfolk (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 07 at 16:02

I'm considering two proposals for the HVAC on my 2200 sf home being built in western MA. The location is remote and very cold and windy so heat is more important than AC. Efficiency isn't my overwhelming consideration as we'll have a masonry heater, summers are pretty short and breezy, and the house will be insulated with cellulose in 2 x 6 walls. What is paramount is comfort, dependability, and durability. I'm planning on oil fired baseboard heat plus central air. I'm comfortable with both contractors and pricing is pretty similar so I'd appreciate any thoughts on plusses/minuses on the following packages:

Contractor A:
Buderus G115/28 boiler with Riello burner
Rheem 2T 14 seer 410A AC
VenMar HRV*

Contractor B:
Burnham MPO-84 with Beckett burner
Bryant 2T 14 seer 410A AC
Bryant HRVBBSVU1150*

*I'm still debating whether to invest in an HRV or do what most people around here do (even those going for Energy Star certification)... put in a couple of good bathroom fans, rated for continuous op, on timers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buderus & Rheem vs Burnham & Bryant

How about a Munchkin boiler. It is so efficient it vents out of pvc pipe. And are those "2" ton AC units? Seems small. I would also go higher than 14 seer.

o
RE: Buderus & Rheem vs Burnham & Bryant

> How about a Munchkin boiler.

In my neck of the woods, Boderus is borderline exotic. It's important to me to stick with the brands local contractors and service people work with day in, day out.

> It is so efficient it vents out of pvc pipe.

Efficiency isn't my only consideration, especially since we'll have a masonry heater (>90% efficiency and uses a renewable fuel source).
> And are those "2" ton AC units? Seems small.

It's one 2ton AC unit. The house has high shade to the south, 16" over hangs, porch to the west, 2 x 6 construction and cellulose insulation. It's also sited on a hill that's perpetually windy in an area where most people rely on cool evenings instead of air conditioning.

> I would also go higher than 14 seer.

13 seer was the recommendation of both HVAC contractors, I upped to 14 seer for energy star. In my area, the heating season is a lot longer and more extreme than the cooling season. The higher the seer, the higher the upfront cost and the lower the reliabilty. Since I'm working with a limited budget I'm hard pressed to justify going with higher seer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here