Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunroomguy_gw

Frequency of defrost cycle on Bryant heat pump

sunroomguy
9 years ago

I have a 3 year new 2800 sq ft home in northern ohio, over insulated, top of the line windows heated by Bryant hybrid heat pump/ propane fired furnace. i believe it is 100K BTU & 5 ton AC. I've never been confident in the installer. have paid for 2 service calls to check system thoroughly and was told everything was correct. I have 2 concerns. at times (not during extreme coldness) the heat pump seems to operate way too long to satisfy the stat which is set to 65 24/7. sometimes this is in excess of 1 hour. this fall/ winter we've been burning wood only up until 2 weeks ago. having had surgery, we now have the heat pump on. the defrost cycle seems to be operating way too often. the last couple of nights I've not slept well and counted it defrosting 6 or 7 times. low temps have been upper 20's and low 30's. is this normal? if not normal, what is typical? If not, what could be causing this? i also found out this AM the furnace was firing with it being 38 degrees out (but set to come on at 20 degrees). I have a call into a different heating company to schedule another system check if your responses indicates I need one. thank you in advance for your professional opinion.

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What Mdl Bryant HP?

Bryant utilizes a time/temp defrost feature which can be set to 30/60/90 minutes regardless whether it is needed or not. The Evolution Mdl heat pump is a bit more advanced working off a software algorithm. Not much better though.

Any idea what your defrost setting is?

When going into defrost, have you checked to see if the defrost cycle is even required?

It might be helpful if you provide complete Mdl numbers of both HP and furnace. What thermostat Mdl do you have?

Certainly the number of defrost cycles you describe could be correct. But it also seems something is wrong with your lockouts. If you are not familiar with your thermostat/controller settings, it is probably best to have a pro take a look. I think I would want the HP set at 60 or 90 minutes for your defrost calls. You are aware your backup propane fueled furnace will be used to temper the air on each defrost call. That can be expensive.

IMO

• sunroomguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I neglected to mention it is the plus 95s evolution system with evolution stat. I do not know the defrost setting. The model # shown on what I believe is the furnace manual is 355CAV. There is also a model # CNPVP6024ACAABAA on a tag on the outside of the furnace, and a model # 355CAV0600100 on a tag inside the front cover. The heat pump model # is 265ANH060-B. the next closest Bryant dealer is an hour away. I have a heating guy I've used for years but not sure if he's knowledgeable with Bryant (waiting on his return call). I did not know the furnace fired as part of the defrost cycle. the dealer nor installer provided no instruction on this system. I'm surprised with todays technology that the defrost will function whether needed or not. also, the outside temp on the stat is often off as much as 20 degrees. is this to be expected? thanx for taking the time to respond.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

No, you have issues that can only be addressed by either an authorized Bryant or Carrier dealer. You specifically should have an owner's operating manual for the Evolution controller, your fault for not having one. Plus verify the time setting for defrost call. Something you should know how to set yourself.

IMO