Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asg123_gw

Heat Pump, Auxiliary Heat, and Adaptive Intelligent Recovery

asg123
13 years ago

We have a heat pump and a White-Rogers programmable thermostat, model number 1f82-261. We have checked and it is properly set to use the Energy Management Recovery (EMR) option. However, it never goes on before the program is set to have the temperature change. You can see/hear it click on and off when the program calls for a temperature change. And, now that it is the winter, it is using the auxiliary heating a lot to get up to the set temperature at the programmed time instead of starting early and getting there gradually without the auxiliary heat. How do we know if the White-Rogers programmable thermostat is working properly? Specially, how do we know the EMR option is working? How do we stop the auxiliary heat from being used?

If we can't get the EMR to work, would it be better to keep the heat pump at a constant temperature? I know most people say that a programmable thermostat, which allows you to change the temperature when you are not home is better, and that it does not use more power to reheat the house when you get home. But, is that true for a heat pump using the auxiliary heat?

Comments (3)

• fsq4cw
    13 years ago

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly?

You can disable the AUX by switching its breaker to the OFF position. Programming the thermostat to not have setbacks would be more efficient as you will be using the HP exclusively, providing your home can be maintained at the desired set point.

SR

• david_cary
    13 years ago

If you can't get the EMR to work, it would be better to keep the stat at a constant temp.

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

If your set on using a setback thermostat I would seriously consider one with an outdoor temperature sensor and lockout capability. On a setback using the EMR the stat can use the current outdoor temp and calculate how far back to start ramping up the temperature without running the strips.

For instance if your setback temp is 65 and you want it 70 at 5pm and its 20 degrees outside it might start ramping up at 3pm. In the same scenerio if it was 50 degrees it might not start until 4:30 and accomplish both with using as little strip heat as possible.

A regular programmable just does not have the available information to make setbacks very useful.

The other good thing is you can lock out the strips so if its above say 35 degrees the strips will not come on unless defrost mode kicks in. The heat pump can be locked out below certain temps also which in severe climates or older systems is useful.

A good stat that senses outdoor temps and has lockout capability will pay for itself in savings rather quickly.

The honeywell visionpro series is what I have and many others in here. The visionpro IAQ only needs 3 wires at the stat and the control module for the rest mounts at the unit so no extra wires are needed except for the outdoor temp sensor.

I would shop online or Ebay. I haven't seen a decent stat at home depot or lowes yet.

If you take advantage of the outdoor temp sensing and with staged strips and lockouts on at least the strips..it will give you very good bang for your buck summer and especially winter.