Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A big Shout-out to energy rater la

Posted by snidely (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 14:01

Energy rater la has repeatedly suggested that heating and cooling dollars are wasted because of gaps and leakage in supply outlets. She has posted this photo to demonstrate how to fix one aspect of the problem using Hardcast #1402 mastic tape.

My single story house has a gas furnace and an unconditioned crawlspace. Out of curiosity, I decided to lift a few supply registers to see the ductwork. I was shocked to find that every outlet had huge gaps between the sheet metal and the edges (some up to 1/2 inch), through which flowed a very steady stream of cold air up from the crawlspace. I got a roll of the Hardcast tape (about $27 from Ferguson) and have followed energy's advice.

Energy, thank you for an awesome and easily followed suggestion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A big Shout-out to energy rater la

wow! nice post!

o

thanks Snidley.
amazing how easy a picture
explains what is difficult to
describe.

glad that you've found use of my
recommendations.
I've used this method since..2002
with great results.
it was discovered by a homeowner
who didn't want to go into his
attic to seal from there.
the 130+ temp was a deterrent..imagine
that.
gotta hand it to determined cajuns.

o

My impression is that energy_rater's "textbook" information is tempered (yea, heated and pounded) with lots of hands-on experience in making modifications to homes. That kind of advice is valuable. I've dealt with home efficiency experts that wave their hands and, for example, tell you to seal that up, but can't really give you any details or alternative methods for doing it or tell you who to hire to do it. Existing homes often can not be fixed by following a cookbook approach.

o

In fact, heated and pounded would be "forged", but I am sure you get my point. I really appreciate energy_rater's advice here.

o

Energy has the best information when it comes to overall efficiency and home sealing information and techniques. I had an incredible guy do my audit and who was very informative so I learned a lot from him also. I have considered getting a thermal imaging camera and working into a part time second job and eventually get a blower door and other goodies. I really enjoy this topic for some reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here