Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LEAK in my A/C Condenser Outside.

Posted by morketh (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 13:52

I just bought a new Goodman A/C system this exact one here:
[url]https://www.acwholesalers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=11632[/url]

Problem is after it is installed the condenser is leaking VERY slowly from this valve I have circled in the below pictures.

I come outside once every couple days and run my finger underneath the black cap there and a oily substance rubs off maybe 2-3 drops worth.
How should I go about stopping a leak like this? That black cap is on there SUPER tight so I am not quite sure how it is leaking out...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/leakx.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/leak2.jpg/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LEAK in my A/C Condenser Outside.

could be as simple as tightening the Schrader valve core.
the valve core could also have been damaged by heat when fastening the lines to the valve body.

Replacing the core is harder.

Where is the cap for the suction line?

o

I guess the technician lost it, I told him he needs to get back out here and fix this as well as bring a cap.

Pisses me off that this is leaking

o

I guess the technician lost it, I told him he needs to get back out here and fix this as well as bring a cap.

Pisses me off that this is leaking

o

wait a minute, do yo know for sure that it is leaking? are you losing cooling capacity? Agreed tech should come back and check his work ansd also replace the M.I.A. cap. What a dork.

o

"I come outside once every couple days and run my finger underneath the black cap there and a oily substance rubs off maybe 2-3 drops worth."

"yo know for sure that it is leaking? "

Refrigeration oil appearing repeatedly on the cap would be a good sign there is a leak.
You would need a refrigerant sniffer to detect the coolant, but the oil sticks around.

A lot of refrigerant has usually leaked if there is a change in capacity.

o

Yes you are right brickeye, I am just making sure. the tech should check with sniffer.

o

Many times the actual location of a leak is easier to find by looking for the oil.

It saves poking around with a sniffer over every little area, and can work on anyplace you can see (and it you have a fiber bore scope you can see a LOT of places).

Even if you cannot get a sniffer to the spot ( inside a coil).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here