Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Is this a programmable thermostat?

I'm thinking not, but then what is the "set" for, and how do you set anything other than adjusting the temp?

I tried to find a manual online but the Honeywell site asks for a model number on the back. I can't figure out how to remove it without breaking something. I had a newer model in my other house so I know how to program those. This one is throwing me. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Not programable. In the pic the arrow is pointing to "room" which is the temp in the room. Were you to press either up/down button once,the arrow would shift to point to "set" which is the temp the stat is set to maintain. If you press two or more times,the "set" will change 1* for each press. Press once then hold button down to rapidly raise/lower several degrees. Press once only or after last press , the arrow will go back to "room" in a few secounds.

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Makes perfect sense now.

Is it an easy DIY project to replace the thermostat to a programmable one? Or would I need to call a heating person or electrician?

• klem1
    10 years ago

Piece of cake. Turn the breakers off that supply the system,there are normaly 2,one for indoor unit and another for outdoor unit. Just read the instructions before picking up a screwdriver and label each wire as you disconnect it.

• udarrell
    10 years ago

Two programmable room t-stats I like, do a search for each one: LUXPRO PSP511LCa & ACE ATX 1500 both low cost & have the very important 1 to 9 Temp-Swing setting so you can adjust runtimes; the off-time will be determined by how well weatherized your home is, along with outdoor conditions.

Each cycle, you want the burner running 13-minutes or longer.

Keep track of the runtime & ON-time to the next On-time (one complete cycle): divide the complete-cycle-time in minutes into the burner runtime in minutes; then multiple that fraction by the Btu/hr OUTPUT of the furnace.

Always do load-calcs so you know whether there are duct leaks or other problems causing a poor performing system.

Print results; because U can't save it; unless you use the 'Sniping Tool' to capture an image of the completed calc. - which you can even upload to this forum thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Whole house load-calc

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

What kind of heat do you have and how is it fueled? These details may affect recommendations for what t-stat will work well for you and how it is used.

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid to try it myself, but I've been watching videos and I think I can handle it. I have natural gas heat.