Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a programmable thermostat?

Posted by SnailLover (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 13:49

I'm thinking not, but then what is the "set" for, and how do you set anything other than adjusting the temp?

I tried to find a manual online but the Honeywell site asks for a model number on the back. I can't figure out how to remove it without breaking something. I had a newer model in my other house so I know how to program those. This one is throwing me. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a programmable thermostat?

Not programable. In the pic the arrow is pointing to "room" which is the temp in the room. Were you to press either up/down button once,the arrow would shift to point to "set" which is the temp the stat is set to maintain. If you press two or more times,the "set" will change 1* for each press. Press once then hold button down to rapidly raise/lower several degrees. Press once only or after last press , the arrow will go back to "room" in a few secounds.

o

Thank you! Makes perfect sense now.

Is it an easy DIY project to replace the thermostat to a programmable one? Or would I need to call a heating person or electrician?

o

Piece of cake. Turn the breakers off that supply the system,there are normaly 2,one for indoor unit and another for outdoor unit. Just read the instructions before picking up a screwdriver and label each wire as you disconnect it.

o

Two programmable room t-stats I like, do a search for each one: LUXPRO PSP511LCa & ACE ATX 1500 both low cost & have the very important 1 to 9 Temp-Swing setting so you can adjust runtimes; the off-time will be determined by how well weatherized your home is, along with outdoor conditions.

Each cycle, you want the burner running 13-minutes or longer.

Keep track of the runtime & ON-time to the next On-time (one complete cycle): divide the complete-cycle-time in minutes into the burner runtime in minutes; then multiple that fraction by the Btu/hr OUTPUT of the furnace.

Always do load-calcs so you know whether there are duct leaks or other problems causing a poor performing system.

Print results; because U can't save it; unless you use the 'Sniping Tool' to capture an image of the completed calc. - which you can even upload to this forum thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Whole house load-calc

o

What kind of heat do you have and how is it fueled? These details may affect recommendations for what t-stat will work well for you and how it is used.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid to try it myself, but I've been watching videos and I think I can handle it. I have natural gas heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here