Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cover 2nd Floor Ceiling Height Air Returns In Heating Season??

Posted by jaysgarden (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 13:40

Two floor house with an unfinished basement.

Have a Goodman-single stage - natural gas - forced air - 100K BTU furnace.

Air returns on 1st floor are at floor level. I have five(5) 16" v 10" ones.

The air returns in the four 2nd floor bedrooms are near the ceiling. I know this helps in the cooling season but in the heating season should I cover the air returns on 2nd floor?

A buddy told me to cover the 2nd floor ones, take temperature reading of supply air as furnace is burning, then uncover the 2nd floor returns and take another supply air temperature reading. Compare the two and if similar, the furnace has enough return air with 2nd floor vents covered.

Any thoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cover 2nd Floor Ceiling Height Air Returns In Heating Season?

Do not take HVAC advice from that friend.

o

Why is that if you care to elaborate.

o

Covering vents is a bad idea with regard to air flow and noise and overheating your furnace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here