Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

beware maytag / nordyne hvac

rileysmom17
10 years ago

I wanted to share my experience with Nordyne HVAC (doing business as Maytag). In December 2012 I had two completely new high efficiency AC / heat pump systems installed. In less than 8 months the blower motors on both air handlers went out.

One is a 2 ton system and one a 2.5 ton system. Air handlers are variable speed.

The air handler model numbers are B6VKMAX30K-B and B6VMAX24K-B.

The contractor who put them in informed me that they had replaced "a lot" of blower motors on these air handlers throughout 2013.

Maytag pats itself all over the back on its web site about the hundreds of factory checks that are performed before the units are shipped. yeah right

Note that Maytag offers ZERO labor warranty so it's all on you. I contacted them about any kind of labor warranty they would offer at least on the air handlers since the units were obviously defective to begin with and they just laughed at me.

Comments (16)

• udarrell
    10 years ago

If these are split systems on ductwork; the ductwork may be undersized along with the Return-Air Filter areas being undersized.

According to the CFM airflow setting; that could cause a variable speed blower motor to excessively increase the RPM to meet the required CFM & probably overload the motor amps, causing burn-outs.

The Amp-draw ought to be carefully checked on any motor situation...and kept within its limits.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Not disagreeing but many dealers just want to sell systems and homeowner be damned if it is sized correctly much less if the ductwork both supply and return is a match for the system.

A real blemish on the industry...

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Was the equipment bought over the internet? I find it hard to believe Maytag offers no labor warranty. I thought a one year labor warranty was standard for the industry.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I think udarrell is on to something here. When you replace the motors do check the amp draw on both at both hi and low speeds. Otherwise, as he points out, it may not be the motors fault, but a system issue. Nordyne sells under assorted brand names, Tappan, Maytag, etc. They make good equipment. Standard manuf warranties do not cover labor. That is the contractors job to provide that first years labor warranty. Keep in mind, he sold you the system...right?

• rileysmom17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The contractor increased the size of the air returns both upstairs and down. One reason why I went with his bid is because he suggested this and explained why it would increase the performance and longevity. He's been in business 30 years.

Equipment was not bought over the internet, how do you buy a compressor over the internet? Off Amazon with free Prime shipping? Didn't know you could.

I did not realize that the contractor was the source of the warranty not the manufacturer and I will say that this was not pointed out to me. I was just happy with the 12 year parts. Frankly I believed I was buying very good equipment as the best insurance against costly repairs. That's why I'm so peeved.

The contractor clearly told me that he had to replace many blower motors for Maytag systems installed in 2013. He has been using this equipment for years. So either they changed the rules on amperage and didn't tell him or they got a big lot of bum motors.

So much for their QC.

I will ask about the amp draw, thanks for that info.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

There are a some HVAC distributors who sell furnaces and condensers on line. Goodman and there associated brands are the most popular, but you will sometimes see others. Most manufacturers discourage this practice by not honoring the warranty. This is the reason I asked the initial question.

It looks like you are correct about the Nordyne labor warranty. The link below shows that you have to pay an additional charge if you want coverage for labor charges. The HVAC contractor should have explained this to you and given you an opportunity to buy a labor warranty.

I am still of the opinion a manufacturer should cover all costs during the first year. It sounds like Maytag chose to use an inferior motor and now the consumer has to pay for their poor choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordyne Warranty Agreement

• zl700
    10 years ago

Bear in mind, Nordyne doesn't make their motors for their labeled HVAC equipment.
    That same Gentec motor with the GE speed control is used on Trane, Carrier, American Standard, York ......................................

If it was a recognizable issue with the product, it would or will be a industry wide problem.

• rileysmom17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

zl700 are you thinking that it was something with the installation because you are in the industry and haven't heard of an industry wide problem?

I do know that when the first unit blew in June 2013 there was a long backorder for the replacement part, which kind of supports the "widespread problem" concept.

• fluffybunnysui
    10 years ago

So... were you actually charged a fee to have the blower motors replaced on systems that were only 8 months old?

• rileysmom17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No. The contractor is a good guy. He actually had to have a competitor take care of blower #1 and he paid that company directly (I didn't even know about it until just now).

What you really have to gag at is this: these units are in a beach rental property. The first unit blew the first week of June. Literally, this was the first week of its LIFE in cooling mode because this was the first rental week. Before then it had run just a little bit in heating mode when I was down at the house prepping it. You could say it had about 25 miles on the odometer. The second unit lasted through 8 weeks of cooling then blew.

Maytag HVAC / Nordyne HVAC - junk until proven otherwise.

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

I have a bad feeling that the ductwork the culprit with high static pressure. The motors will burn themselves up. They also seem to be extremely sensitive to power surges or spikes. I have noticed multiple places that sell surge protection that plug directly into the motors.

I would have someone make sure the static pressures are in range and then motor amperage and line voltage.

If the above are in spec then I would seriously consider a surge protector because they sure seem to be pretty trouble free in a good installation and with clean power.

These variable motors are used in almost every brand and it seems good installers swear by them and the majority of others swear at them because they can't size and build the system right.

Here is a link that might be useful: one surge protection option

• rileysmom17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

countryboymo your information is very helpful. I will discuss the details of the static pressures, motor amperage and line voltage and also suggest the surge protectors.

I am guessing the surge protectors have to be hard-wired in?

• PRO
    Dwyer
    8 years ago

Norteck (nordyne) has excellent technical assistants. Your contractor should have them involved at some point. I realize that it is easy to blame the equipment but the reality is that it is most likely the installation that is the issue.

• sktn77a
    4 years ago

1. 6 year old post.

2. Caps Lock.

• Jason Fillenwarth
    2 years ago

I wouldn't like to throw a little insight on these supposed Maytag systems that are actually built by norteck. For starters I am a professional in my trade and have been for 10 years with the same company and we are officially a Maytag dealer in which I have no say in and I do not agree with. In the past several years that we have been installing these Maytag units we have had nothing but problems. The blame has been put on me not setting the dip switches or not setting them properly or the air return not being big enough or whatever the truth of the matter is that there is entirely too much moisture building up inside these units and they are shorting out the motors and the control board now are temporary fix apparently is to put the control board in a plastic bag set the dip switches according to what tech support says to set them at and we have gone from there now since we have made this change I personally don't know of any issues that we have had but it still sounds to me like it is an ongoing issue placing the control board in a plastic baggie is not professional looking and that is not a fix too nordyne or nortec oh my bad maytags problem. I get it the world we live in now is constantly increasing in technology and everything is getting way more sophisticated to be honest there are some things that you should leave computers out of an air conditioning systems is certainly one of them electronics and water do not mix... Simply by looking at the unit a better design to place the board in a sealed box would have been a simple fix now how is that the installers fault? Anybody that's reading my post just look back at the first post that was 7 years ago and we are still having the same issues? The moisture burning up the boards and motor is only one of the issues with the systems the other issue as far as the air handler goes is the s*** quality of the material used to build the thing to start with using paper thin metal that have gaps everywhere and what's with the drain pan knockout Jesus Christ I feel like I'm going to break the pan trying to knock the thing out luckily I haven't but still on the main drain on an upright unit you shouldn't have to knock that out to use as an auxiliary drain / emergency shut off switch that should already be open with a screw in plug just like every other manufactured does. Also what's with the quarter inch Gap underneath the air filter door what in the world am I supposed to do there put some cork tape on it silver tape it to the platform top so every time the customer goes to change their filter they got to peel tape off of it and then put new tape back on it when they're done seriously? 🤣 The f***** up part is I literally just got done installing one of these systems today and guess what I'm going to have to go install another 5 ton tomorrow and another one after that.. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's wrong with these units even my helpers can look at these things and without me saying anything about it they asked me is it supposed to do that that don't seem right.. lol I'm talking about a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old millennial kid that can see that something's not right with that unit what's up engineers how about you all actually do something that matters for a change or at least listen to people and what they want and what needs to be done.

• Peter Llewellyn
    2 years ago

I have installed well over 1,800 Nordyne units, and have never ever had one fail out of the box. I, as a licensed HVAC contractor in the state of South Carolina, give a full 2 year labor warranty on all units I install to all of my customers with a new install. I do this because I have the utmost confidence in two things. 1) That I know the proper install technique and methods for a proper and professional install of the equipment I am installing. 2) I have the utmost confidence in the equipment and the proper manufacturing of the equipment I sell, only Nordyne. I will also tell you that in the 2 year warranty period that I gove to my customers I bat somewhere less than 1% for any warranty work performed under that 2 year period, which I do factor in when giving my quotes to install equipment. You are either a hack, or have the worst luck in the world, personally I'm leaning to the first choice... You might want to consider being used car salesman, because this way you have no one to blame but yourself.