Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole Barn Heat

Posted by highlt (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 13:22

Hello-

I live in Ohio and have at 36x48x12 Pole Barn with a 5 pitch roof. The barn is completely unfinished and has metal walls and roof. I would like to figure out a way to quickly heat the barn if I need to do some stuff in the winter. I was thinking of using a Kerosine or Propane Salmander heater at 120,000 btu.

QUESTIONS
1. What is the proper way to size the btu rating for the 36x48x12 5 pitch barn? Would 120,000 btu be sufficient?
2. Is propane or kerosine cheaper to run?
3. Would radiant heat be better than the forced air heat? Any better options to quickly heat the barn?
4. Would there be any condensation issues? The barn has a ridge vent down the middle and fullly vented 1 ft. soffits on each side. It also has a concrete floor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole Barn Heat

You're not going to be able to heat the building (the way it is), no matter what you use. All you'll be able to do, is "heat yourself". If you use kerosene for an extended period, you'll start feeling ill due to the smell and the CO.

o

the heat loss alone of a room that size is nearly 100Kbtu, add in the total open construction, and the massive air infiltration and you are looking at nearly double that, factor in the height of the space and construction of it, and you are looking at a nice 360K salamander to get and keep it warm, a better way is to mount a radiant heater where you are going to be working in there, that heats just you and the stuff you are working on. much smaller need for heat.

o

If you just are usually in a certain part of the barn, can you box off part of it with some studs and drywall and some insulation? That way it would be much less of an area to heat!

o

If you are not going to fully insulate and eliminate infiltration, Infra red heaters are the best solution. They will not heat the building, but will heat people. They should be a suspended type and angled downward for best results. You can strategically locate several smaller units where you will be working. Checkout the 'Mr. Heater' web site. Use a model that vents to the outdoors to eliminate condensation problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Heater

o

Thanks for the messages guys. Kind of bummed because I found a 210,000 btu salamander heater for 250 on e-bay. I was hoping I would be able to use to heat the barn occasionally. I like playing corn hole and wanted to play in the winter. Sounds like the salamander will smell too bad????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here