Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshst_gw

Heat pump advice

MarshSt
11 years ago

We have a hybrid system that was installed in 1997 and the selector valve has failed in the heat pump. Bryant Plus 90i 355MAV060600ACKA propane furnace, Am Std 12 SEER HP 6H2048A100A with Honeywell VisionPro IAQ stat.
We are currently running on the furnace only while we decide how to proceede. I have a quote to replace the thermal expansion tank and all related components for about $1600. This seems like a lot to spend on and old unit with a low SEER rating, The 12 SEER was a pretty good unit when we had the system installed. The unit has been relatively trouble free over ther years.
I am seriously considering replacing the heat pump with a new unit and would like some input on potential replacements and any pitfalls to look out for. Also will I need to replace my indoor coil in order to maintain the new unit efficiency?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments (8)

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Where are you located and what are your gas and electric costs? Is the gas furnace large enough to heat the house adequately?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

It makes no sense to spend $1600 on a 15 year old condenser. You are much better off putting the money towards a new heat pump.

You need to replace the coil because the new condenser uses R410 refrigerant. It is not compatible with the old R22 refrigerant.

You may be able to find a Bryant coil and heat pump which is a match to your furnace. This is worth investigating.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

mike's post X2

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

With gas prices what they are, right now, cheap, I wonder if you could just get the thing in cooling mode and not use it to heat for now. It depends on how the budget is at this juncture.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Previous poster apparently did not pick up that backup heat is propane, not nat gas.

Marsh, you were asked your location.

It appears you have a 4 ton HP condenser. I agree with others and would not spend any money on a 15 yr old condenser. You will need to replace with new condenser and matching evap coil. I personally prefer a HP brand that has electronic demand defrost.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, yes. My bad.

• MarshSt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. My computer didn't like the site for some reason and I am just now able to see responses.
    I'm near Seattle, WA. The furnace is large enough to heat the house on its own. We have about 2500 sq ft on two floors. My electric rate is .088/KWH for the first 600 then .107/HWH after that. Propane cost varied from near $2.25 / gallon to close to $3.00 during the last year. I think the lockout was set at about 40 degrees.
    I need to get out the book and get the stat setup changed so I can get out of emergency heat mode. It's not smart in this mode and I have to back up my start times to hit the desired temps.

Steve

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I probably would look at a high eff Bryant Heat pump with matching evap coil.

I woulld move that lockout down to 35 deg minimum. Your location would indicate relatively mild winters.

On a BTU basis only, the HP with a COP of 2.70 is less than half the cost of your propane furnace even at $2.25/gallon propane.

I hope you are already getting quotes. You are burning money using propane.

IMO
    Good Luck!