Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

What's up with ECONAR?

sniffdog
14 years ago

One of my Econar Geosource 2000 heat pumps was out (again) for 13 days. This is the 3rd winter season of operation and this unit is batting 1000 - been down in each winter season.

First time was scroll compressor, second time was computer board and fan relay, this time it was the fan motor and computer board.

Between my HVAC company waiting for 2 days after the initial diagnoses to order the parts, and Econar shipping the parts by Pony Express - we wound up being down for 13 days this time. Since the unit has been installed it has been down for a total of 25 days. That seems pretty bad to me.

My other 2 Econar heat pumps (3 ton units) have been rock solid. This 5 ton unit that keeps breaking down seems like a lemon. Unfortunately, the 5 ton unit is the most critical in heating the house.

After talking the the technician, he mentioned that Econar may have filed for bankruptcy - is that true? Now my HVAC service company no longer installs Econar (but they still service them). For new installs they switched to Florida Heat Pumps. The tech says they are much better than Econar.

Can anyone comment on Econar equipment? I thought they were supposed to be a good quality heat pump? Could I chaulk this up to bad luck or should I start looking for a new unit?

Thanks

Comments (2)