Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xpost - How important is gas availability to new build

Posted by shouldibuild (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 12:35

We are looking at building on 15 acres that is close in to the city, but the property and building sits off the road quite a ways. We are looking at needing to run electricity about 500 feet and gas more than 900.

How much is it worth to bring gas to the building site compared to an alternate fuel - either propane or electricity? We could get a small propane tank for the gas range and heat off electric. There are probably other altenatives I am not considering. All in this will be a $650K to $750K project so I do not want to be pennywise and pound foolish. Interested in your thoughts. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xpost - How important is gas availability to new build

Right now natural gas is the cheapest way to heat a home in most parts of the country. The US has an abundance of natural gas due to hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling. There is no much cheap gas in the US that there are plans to export it overseas to Europe and Asia.

I think you should investigate how much it will cost to bring the gas line into your house. Once you have the numbers then you can calculate the return on investment and determine whether it makes financial sense.

o
RE: Xpost - How important is gas availability to new build

With that much land, you should look into geothermal.

Both propane and electric will be much more expensive than NG for heating, depending on your climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here