Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmx0

Rheem Classic 90 furnace control board replacement

GMX0
9 years ago

Hi, we came home on Christmas Eve to a burning plastic smell in the house. Thought it was the Christmas tree, so I unplugged it, ventilated the house, and we went to bed.

Next morning, got up, heat wasn't working and the smell was back. Traced it back to the control board on the (natural gas) furnace. Here is what it looks like now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8PTN77UH_WWTzJFcW1JbHNfd1U/view?usp=sharing

You can see the board itself is burned at the bottom, as well as some of the wires. We had an HVAC tech come out and diagnose it, this board was the only issue he found (other components such as inducer and blower tested OK), but they wanted $737 for the repair; and, they didn't even have the parts yet, so we'd still be without heat for a few more days.

The control board is a "62-24268-01 / 1012-925A" and I found what appears to be a newer replacement, 62-24268-03 / 1012-925C, on Amazon for around $105 and it will get here on Monday.

I am pretty confident I can replace the board itself easily enough. My concern is with the wiring harnesses, I'm having trouble finding these things online and of course all the local HVAC distributors/stores are closed. Does anybody know a good source for these things?

Also, I notice the old board has DIP switches (top right corner) and the new board has a set of jumpers there instead, so I guess I'll have to "translate" the DIP switch settings to the jumper settings. Has anyone does this before, and if so, did the board come with instructions for this or will I have to get a multimeter on it and test my way through it?

Any other caveats to watch out for, or any other tips?

Thanks!!!

Comment (1)