Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spf5209

HVAC noise problem

spf5209
12 years ago

This is a cross-post from the building forum on what seems to be commonplace stupidity/sloppiness/could not care less attitude of some of the subs. When we tested the new HVAC (with geothermal heat pump), it was very noisy with no start-up check list filled out. Turns out they did not install the noise-dampening pad or attach the correct flexible duct pieces to keep vibrations from transferring. I guess I am just old school, but can't begin to comprehend the mind that walked away from that job thinking it was done correctly. If I turned in my projects in that condition, my boss would rightly wonder what kind of employee he had.

Now that they have fixed that, the noise from the air flow through the ducts/registers is still loud. This is only a problem in the living room right above the unit. Builder says that is normal in an empty house and will dissipate once the furniture/rugs, etc. are in. Anyone have experience on this they can share? Was it loud in the empty house and okay with furniture (we have hardwood floors)? Can you hear the air rushing through the vents when your HVAC kicks on? Can they add duct insulation/other fixes to reduce the noise level? Thanks.

Comments (5)