Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC noise problem

Posted by spf5209 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 12:11

This is a cross-post from the building forum on what seems to be commonplace stupidity/sloppiness/could not care less attitude of some of the subs. When we tested the new HVAC (with geothermal heat pump), it was very noisy with no start-up check list filled out. Turns out they did not install the noise-dampening pad or attach the correct flexible duct pieces to keep vibrations from transferring. I guess I am just old school, but can't begin to comprehend the mind that walked away from that job thinking it was done correctly. If I turned in my projects in that condition, my boss would rightly wonder what kind of employee he had.

Now that they have fixed that, the noise from the air flow through the ducts/registers is still loud. This is only a problem in the living room right above the unit. Builder says that is normal in an empty house and will dissipate once the furniture/rugs, etc. are in. Anyone have experience on this they can share? Was it loud in the empty house and okay with furniture (we have hardwood floors)? Can you hear the air rushing through the vents when your HVAC kicks on? Can they add duct insulation/other fixes to reduce the noise level? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC noise problem

JUST TURN UP THE TV MAN.

o

If you can hear the air go through the duct through the floor, then you may have undersized duct work. How many tons is the AC and what are the sizes of the duct work?

o

Mike - thanks for the thoughtful questions. It is a 4-ton unit. The main supply duct is 8 X 10 inch galvanized and then the runs are 6-inch galvanized pipe. They did come in and made some adjustments and it looks like they insulated the outside if the tube pipe for about 5 feet from the main supply trunk (it might be just flex tube, I have to check it out). What they did has made it better, but still not as quiet as I think it should be. I am thinking the lining/insulation should go on the inside or is it all about velocity and size, so maybe a bigger duct size for the run? Thanks for your input.

o

"It is a 4-ton unit. The main supply duct is 8 X 10 inch galvanized"

WAY undersized for 4 tons.

o

"WAY undersized for 4 tons"

Thank you, brickeyee, for the feedback. Are you saying that this is the likely source of the noise problems and furnishings won't likely change the noise level?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here