Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredfrombc

How to Handle 2 heating zones system

fredfrombc
10 years ago

Hi all,
I have 2 levels house with 2 heating zones. living rooms/kitchen on first level and all 4 bedrooms in second level. The controls are just regular digital thermostats with no fancy add-on. Currently we turn off the second lvl heat, turn on first lve heat when we wake up and do the reverse at night time when we go to bed(a few hours before).

Are we doing the right thing? What is the best way to control heat in this situation? We want to stay warm 70F without burning my wallet.

Thanks all..

Comments (11)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

What kind of heat do you have, force air or hydronic (hot water radiators)? Further, what is the fuel, natural gas, propane, oil, heat pump, other?

• fredfrombc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry for not able to provide the information in the first time.. well.. new owner and still need to learn more..

I have water radiator with gas heat pump..

Thank you.

• SpecialtyAirInc
    10 years ago

I wonder if there is any user manual provided for this problem. Regarding the heat issue, maintenance is the biggest concern. You don't need to use the system the whole day. Keep a check on the heat and just maintain a comfortable temp. I hope it helps in any way possible.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"I have water radiator with gas heat pump."

I am not sure what does this means. Do you have a gas fired boiler or a heat pump?

I would like to suggest using set backs but if the advice may change if you have a heat pump with resistance heat strips. If you describe the details of your heating plant we may be able to figure out what it is.

• fredfrombc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Hot Water Gas-fired Boiler. Please see below at link section for detail..

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Water Gas-fired Boiler

• mike_home
    10 years ago

For what you describe you are doing the right things to save energy. You basically heat the floor you are occupying most of the time.

I suggest investing in a programmable thermostats so you can set back the temperature for the times you wake up and go to bed. This will avoid forgetting to turn down the temperature and start the warm up earlier so you it will be more comfortable when you move from one floor to the other.

• fredfrombc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help.. what is the recommend brand for programmable thermostats? Thanks again.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Honeywell sells several thermostats in the big box stores. These are designed for the DIY installations and would work fine for your set up.

• jonnyp
    10 years ago

You may qualify for rebates from your utility provider or state for pro tstats. Just make sure your differential is no more than 5 degrees F.
    any lower you may as well keep your present setup. Recovery will eat up your savings.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

This is dead wrong unless you have a heat pump with a primitive thermostat:

"any lower you may as well keep your present setup. Recovery will eat up your savings."

• mike_home
    10 years ago

" Just make sure your differential is no more than 5 degrees F. "

What is magical about a 5 degree differential?

It is a proven fact that setting back the thermostat during parts of the day will save energy. An exception as ionized has pointed out is if you have a heat pump with the old style method of turning on the auxiliary heat when the room temperature and set temperature is greater than 2 degrees. In some cases heat pumps may not achieve as much savings as furnaces. This is the reason I asked if the OP had a heat pump.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler