Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oh42

Cannot find filter for the furnace

oh42
11 years ago

I got this Goodman GMP series furnace and cannot find the filter. Any ideas?

Air intake:

Comments (12)

• oh42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The furnace is in the attic, hanging horizontally. Here is the panel on the intake side:

• oh42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The panels are all taped up with metallic tapes:

• oh42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the panel on the outflow side:

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Is there a return air grille in the ceiling or in a wall reasonably near the unit? Visible while standing in a room? 16 x 16, 16 x 20, 20 x 20, something like that? The filter might be behind that grille.

• oh42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are 3 return air grilles. 2 are down stairs in the walls, 1 is upstairs in the ceiling. None of them have any filters.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Will they accommodate a filter? If so, and if they are correctly identified as returns, get and install the proper size filter(s). Today would not be a bit too early to do so.

• hamconsulting
    11 years ago

My hvac system was not installed with a 5" media air filter in the attic.

My hvac system has 1" filters on the back of two 12x24 return vent grills.

I plan to add a 5" media filter in the attic in the near future. I wonder if this is an easy DIY job?

• oh42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't see a place to put filter in the vent. Also, they are all odd sizes:
    31 1/2 X 21 3/4
    25 1/2 X 9 3/4
    21 1/2 X 21 1/2

Here is picture of one:

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Sooner or later, you will pay big money to a professional to get your system working properly again. If there is no filter, the significant repairs will be required very soon. I do not suggest using those who installed your system. Get a pro to look at in person now.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 12:10

• hamconsulting
    11 years ago

I suppose those are weird sizes especially if you cannot find air filters in those dimensions.

If you have 3 odd size return vents with no place to add a filter, then you might be better off adding a 5" media filter in the attic in a convenient place.

• dapoppa
    11 years ago

I hope you didn't pay someone to install that system. I've seen better looking jobs on another websites "Hall of Shame". This is the type of work that gives manufacturers a bad name

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

If I had to guess, I would say it is behind that long narrow metal panel that is taped down in the first picture. My parent's have a similar panel that is hinged on one side with some tiny hold-downs on the other. Yours looks taped shut.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022