Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do My Supply Ducts Keep My Water Pipes From Freezing?

Posted by nerdyshopper (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 11:38

Both my supply ducts and my water pipes run through a vented crawl space under my home. I live in Eastern Washington and outdoor temperatures normally run from zero to 20 degrees in the coldest part of winter. I plug the vents with foam plugs in Winter. My question is: Are the ducts keeping my water pipes from freezing. (Temperatures as low as 25 below have been known here). I have foam lagging on hot water pipes and use a recirculating pump because it takes about 7 minutes to get hot water to the kitchen otherwise. Is there someting I can do to make this system more energy efficient? I also have a problem with a hose bib that sometimes drips when on and fills one of the galvanized barriers for a vent that is under the hose bib.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do My Supply Ducts Keep My Water Pipes From Freezing?

ducts should be sealed to keep conditioned air
inside duct. ducts should be insulated to keep
temp of air in ducts close to supplied temp.
I can't see why, unless ducts are unsealed
& uninsulated, that ducts would affect the
water pipes at all.

more likely pipe insulation is what keeps
pipes from freezing.
what is foam lagging? tubular pipe insulation?

are you looking for faster delivery of hot
water?

not sure what hose bibb issue is.
if it leaks..change it.

best of luck.

o

You could be getting some "warmth" in the crawlspace from the ground too.

When you get a few days of cold weather, try putting a pan of water in the crawlspace. See if the water freezes.

o

Thanks for the help. I haven't been in the crawl space to look at what is going on. I had a plumber lag the pipes with a foam lagging that is flexible and has a slit running the length of it. It clings to the pipe and is only taped at intervals. He told me it wouldn't keep the pipes from freezing eventually in a long cold snap. I had a recirculating pump installed on top of my hot water tank because it is a very long run to the kitchen from the garage where the tank is located. But my pipes have never frozen and so I was just wondering.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here