Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklynreno_gw

cost of new hydro air heating system

brooklynreno
16 years ago

Has anyone put in a new heating system and could help me compare costs? We have a victorian, approx 1800 square feet (not including attic and basement). We are thinking of replacing a forced air/oil burner system (the oil burner is from 1981) with a hydro air, gas boiler system --and new ductwork so that we can have central air. (We have received mixed recommendations about putting in central air through the existing ducts -- one person said he would not do it because it won't work, two people said that it would not work great, but would cool off the house somewhat). Some of the benefits of going with the new system (besides the central air) would be to remove our chimney (we are opening up the kitchen/dining room), have more zones in the house, and by putting one of the air handlers in the attic, we would have the attic ready for heat when we renovate it. The quote that we received is about $24K for the new boiler, water storage tank, new ductwork, two air handlers -- and does not include the cost of the compressor for the a/c. My understanding is that there would be some additional electrical and plumbing costs as well (around $2K). Does this sound like it's in the ballpark?

Comments (26)

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

A better way to go would be hot water baseboard heating with a completely separate central AC system.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

I totally disagree that a baseboard system would be a better wat to go. With the hydro-air system all you have to do is piping to the hot water coils and back to the boiler. Two pipes as compared to running all kinds of piping from room to room etc. With the cost of copper these days the minimum amount of copper tubing you have to use the better off you are. The difference in labor cost should be substantial too.

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

How does saving copper and installation costs make the hydro air system "better"? It might be "better" from a cost of installation standpoint, but if "better" comfort is the goal, properly designed and installed separate systems are the way to go.

Doing heating and cooling through the same system is a compromise in efficiency and comfort. The physics of heating and cooling and the different loads on different parts of the house during different seasons make this the case.

• msm859
    16 years ago

"A better way to go would be hot water baseboard heating with a completely separate central AC system."
    I totally agree. There is NO comparison to radiant heat. Also, that would then allow you to design the ducting specifically for AC

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

brewbeer, you obviously don't work in the hvac trade and never saw a saturated air handler or flex duct holding so much water it pulls away from its fittings. Thats what happens when an air system sits idle all winter and you have a source of heat like baseboard. That warm air condenses in the system and you have more trouble then you need. Oh sure you can stuff towels or rags in all the registers, "now there's a pretty sight". I've seen more problems then you could imagine with the type of system you "think" is better. Granted, baseboard is a nice even heat but when you have a situation like this and you recommend it you just don't know what you're talking about. Its highly unlikely you've even ever seen a hydro air system other then what you read in here. When I say its the best I mean for this particular application. And these days I think cost comes into play big time these days. Go and price out a system like you recommend, its outrageous. You'd make a better salesman then a knowledgeable tech!

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

Well mr.hvac, you are correct my profession is not related to selling, installing or servicing heating system components, so I don't have the potential to benefit financially from the system the OP eventually may end up installing.

Without going into a long account of the experience I have had with my system, based on my expereice, the best piece of advise I can give to anyone contemplating new heating and AC systems that use air ducting is this: make sure that any such system has all the air handlers and duct work on the conditioned side of the insulation envelop. The consequences of not keeping equipment and ductwork inside the building insulation are significant.

Ultimately the OP needs to make a decision about what is "best" for the OP in the OP's specific situation, most of which we do not know.

From a comfort and fuel efficiency perspective, separately designed and installed heat (hydronic) and AC systems are the "best". A hybrid system is a compromise in comfort and efficiency. Anyone installing a hybrid system may wish to live with that compromise to get a lower installation cost, but the owner of such a system will then have to live with such a system, and will pay for that compromise in higher fuel operating costs, and perhaps lower comfort, too.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

Brewbeer, you're making your statements based on the one system you are familiar with which just happens to be your own. My statements on the other hand are based on doing many installations of both types and more. You shouldn't be contributing to something you have very little knowledge of like a hydro-air system. And it is by no means a hybrid, its just something you are not familiar with. So in your mind its inferior. I've never run into a dissatisfied customer who has opted for this type of system.

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

mr.hvac,everyone who posts here is equally entitled to express their views. Just saying "you have very little knowledge" doesn't make it so. Note that msm859 has agreed with the recommendation for separate systems.

Kindly address the points I raised in my Wednesday post. If you believe that what I have written in that post is incorrect, then provide information that descredits it.

• joeplumb
    16 years ago

I'm with you brew.
    No comparison between the two systems. If the owner has the upfront dough, thats the way to go. I'm a poet.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

Whatever brewbeer! I have no desire to get into another pissing match in this forum. My thirty years in the trade against whatever mistakes you made with your system speaks for itself. If people want to take the advice of someone with very limited knowledge and experience its no skin off my backside. Happy New Year all, and good luck with free advice!

• brooklynreno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments. We did (briefly) consider baseboard and then separate a/c units, but our concern was that we would lose so much floor and wall space compared to the new system. Could anyone recommend a website where I could learn more about hydro air? I'm not sure I fully understand all the issues -- including the one that you raised, brewbeer, about placing everything on the conditioned side of the insulation envelop. Thanks very much again!

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

mr.havac, it is unfortunate you view intelligent discussion of the various options and differences of opinion as a "pissing match". As a self-described professional, your extensive knowledge of various systems installed in the field could be beneficial to others who come here seeking to be educated. I hope you change your mind and participate in an informed discussion so that the OP and everyone else can benefit from it.

Brooklynreno, I understand that posting links to competing forums is grounds for being banned from gardenweb. However, if you google "hydro-air heating systems", the first result will take you to a website where you can find some very good information. Go to the home page of that site and look around. You will find some very good info, and others who perhaps are willing to discuss with you real information, instead of just blowing hot air.

• wallynut
    16 years ago

I am new to this forum and a HVAC contractor.
    I work with these systems everyday and must
    agree with Mr havac totally.
    Hydro air is, in my opinion an excellent option.

My only advice is get quality installer.

• joeplumb
    16 years ago

Mr HVAC,

Your 30 years or 300 years experience has NOTHING to do with the merits of comfort in heating. You are no more qualified to make that kind of judgement then ANYBODY who has experienced both kinds of heating systems.

And the objective opinion of most is that hot water heating is far and away superior and trumps hot air heating almost everytime, in comfort level, operating cost and the ability to zone the heating system. In a word, it is my opinion that HWH stinks, and has been perpetrated on the public by builders who put in the cheapest heating/A/C systems they can get away with. ( forgive the preposition at the end)

If we are trading off comfort for cost, or choosing a particular unit, then your experience would cetainly be valuable to share with others.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

Hydro air "IS" hot water heat but without the dryness of a flame fired furnace!!! And with a reset system you can have one of the most comfortable systems going. Nitwits! Neither one of you have any clue what so ever what in hell you're talking about!

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

It should be obvious who my previous comment were directed towards and I thank the knowledgeable people who contributed to this thread.
    People should know what they're talking about before they advise others.

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

"Nitwits! Neither one of you have any clue what so ever what in hell you're talking about!"

If you can't discredit the message, then slander the messenger. What a great way to contribute constructive, informative content to any discussion on an internet forum.

• cajimbo
    16 years ago

Im buying a 2000sq ft colonial which has electric heating. I few people have suggested I install a hydro air unit as it would reduce the cost of my heating bill. Does anyone know how much one can save using hydro air over electric and does this justify the 15-20K cost of the new unit? Looking for specifics if possible. Thanks, Jim

• wallynut
    16 years ago

Your location and cost of electric (per kilowatt hr.)
    is only way to tell.
    My cost per kWh charge in Mass. is .1948 for December.
    751 kwh.
    We have very high rates and makes electric A non option.

• cajimbo
    16 years ago

Wallynut,

So would I be correct in saying that I need to find out how many kilowatts are needed to keep this house at X temperature using Hydro-air and compare that to kilowatts used, using the electric baseboard. I probably can find the existing usage from my local power company, but where could I find how much power these Hydro-air units use? Would the installer be able to provide me with estimates? I am in NY so I'm guessing were in the same "boat". Any help would greatly be appreciated. Jim

• wallynut
    16 years ago

First of all you have electric heat.What is your cost per
    kWh for november 07 bill? I just want to know your electric rate to see if oil or gas Hydro air would be better option.
    Your area might be reasonable because of Hydro electric power.

• cajimbo
    16 years ago

I will give you two figures. I really know next to nothing about this stuff. When I divide my bill (239.58) by the total electricity used (1760kwh) I get .1361. Now, according to my bill the market price for the energy is .0816. The difference between .0816 and .1361 are service charges and other misc charges. I hope this helps. Thanks for your time. Jim

• jmatthews_snet_net
    16 years ago

I installed a hydro-air system in a new house built. Two zones with one air exchanger in the attic and the other in the basement. I am very satisfied with the heating system but have one complaint that I hope someone can suggest a solution. My hot water for the house is also fed off this and I am constantly waiting for hot water and then running out. Forget about taking a long shower!

• ionized_gw
    16 years ago

Jmatthews, you don't have enough hot water even in the summer?

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

jmatthews, it could be something as serious as an undersized boiler to something as simple as incorrect control settings. If the system is new and giving you problems you should be on the phone with the contractor who knows the system instead of someone in a forum who hasn't a clue as to what you have. Place the call.