Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazer98

Oil boiler problem

amazer98
9 years ago

Hi all,

Today I got a Christmas surprise, but not they kind you might normally hope for!

I was in the basement this morning and noticed that my oil boiler had discharged about 1.5 gallons of water out of the copper standpipe at its rear. Luckily, I had placed a small trash container (the size you might use in a bathroom) under the standpipe, so that contained the water (with just an inch or two to spare).

The boiler is a 15 year old NTI Odyssey-- nothing special, but decent enough with a digital display that shows the internal water temperature and other statistic (pressure maybe?). The system does have an expansion tank, which looks perfect from the outside.

I had the system throughly cleaned and tested last month. The technician installed a new electronic controller for the Riallo burner because it wouldn't ignite after he cleaned the unit (go figure).

I can't figure out why water would be discharged-- could the boiler be heating the water too hot? If so, why hadn't this occurred in the 8-10 weeks since the tech worked on it?

Any insights or comments would be appreciated-- and Happy Xmas!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022