Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chen0317_gw

American Standard furnace & AC load spec

chen0317
11 years ago

I'm finishing a new construction house in Chicago area. The house has basement 1,600 SF (unfinished), 1.st level 1,600 SF wide open floor plan; 2nd level 1,300 SF 4 bedrooms. I have good size windows throughout the house windows (35"W x 72"H) but not too much. The windows are Andersen E4 Series 0.30 U-factor. The house build with R-19/R-15 in exterior walls (brick siding), R-45 in roof Insulation.

Here is contractor purposed spec: American Standard Furnace/AC/Thermostat/Humidifier/Air Cleaner
-----------------------------------------------------------
Basement/1st floor - one set system:
Furnace: 95 AFUE;5 TON;104,500 BTUH; model# AUH1D120A9601A Silver ZI (Freedom 95 Single-Stage)
AC: 13 SEER; 3.5 TON; 42,000 BTUH. Model # 4TTM3042A1000A (Silver SI)
Thermostat: ACONT6000 1Heat/1Cool stage
Humidifier: AHUMD300
Perfect Fit 5" media air cleaner
------------------------------------------------------------
2nd floor - one set systems - Furnace in the attic
Furnace: 95 AFUE; 3.5 TON; 76,000 BTUH. Model # AUH1B080A9421A Silver ZI (Freedom 95 Single-Stage)
AC: 13 SEER; 3.5 TON; 42,000 BTUH. Model # 4TTM3042A1000A (Silver SI)
Thermostat: ACONT6000 1Heat/1Cool stage
Humidifier: AHUMD300
Perfect Fit 5" media air cleaner
------------------------------------------------------------

I think the 1st floor systems Furnace is way over sized given primarily serving 1,600 SF floor space (even with possibility future finished basement).

Also, I would like to have:
Both furnaces upgrade to Gold ZM (Freedom 95 Comfort-R Variable-Speed) 97 AFUE, two stages.
AC, upgrade to Gold XI (Allegiance 13 or Allegiance 15) system 14 SEER or 17 SEER.
Thermostat: ACONT6002 2Heat/2Cool stages control.

Can you comment on the system spec and also I would like to know what's the reasonable price up charge with Furnace and AC model upgraded.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

1. since the first unit is doing both the basement and first floor, isn't that 3200 sqft, not 1600? Granted, the basement won't need as much cooling but it will need heating.

2. I agree going with a variable speed blower and a higher SEER AC. 2-stage AC may or may not matter with the variable blower in that you will still get good humidity extraction at the lower fan speeds.

3. I'd like to see the ManualJ and what temperatures they assumed for summer/winter both inside and outside.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I question both sizing and selection of equipment models.

I would want zoning controls for basement and first floor. Definitely two stage var speed furnace for that system.

I also question placing a high eff condensing furnace in the attic for second floor considering Chicago area location. I would want to hear what dealer has to say about freeze-ups. Of course building quality and insulation quality play a factor here.

You should start by insisting on a written load calculation for both heating and cooling.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

You need to find a new HVAC contractor. I would be suspect of a professional who has proposed 180K BTUs of heating and 7 tons of cooling for the house you have described. Cutting those numbers in half is closer to the correct value.

Find a contractor who will do a Manual J load calculation!

Are you planning to insulate the attic? If not then I would install bought furnaces in the basement. Basement should have its own zone if you really want to control the temperature in the winter.

If your windows are tight then you probable don't need a humidifier. You certainly don't need two.

Get smaller equipment and put the money towards upgrading to 2-stage furnaces and condensers.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

agree with above posters.
    get more bids.

pairing high efficiency heat with minimum efficiency
    cooling doesn't make sense.
    heat pump for second floor would make sense
    as heat from first floor will help to heat.

two stage always above single stage for comfort.

if this company did a load calc..they fuged some
    of the inputs. usually air infiltration is entered
    as leaky, or insulation values are lowered.
    lots of ways to tinker with load required.

good windows..but more detail on insulation
    & air sealing details needed.

best of luck.

• chen0317
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input, I have requested ManualJ from two different contractors. The objective is to have right load (likely smaller) equipment and used the money towards upgrading to 2-stage furnaces and condensers. We will see what come back with their update

The builder is putting good insulation (I think it's R45) in the attic to address freeze issue for the furnace.

I will request two zone for the basement unit.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Chen

You misunderstand my point about freezing in the attic. R-45 in attic floor is fine. But the furnace will still be in an unconditioned attic unless you take additional measures. You should discuss this further with dealer.

I would want a two stage var speed furnace for first floor and basement. Insist on zoning controls.

For second floor, you could go high eff single stage furnace but insist on the AmStd equivalent to Trane's XT series that has high eff blower.

IMO

• chen0317
    Original Author
    11 years ago

IMO,

Thank for your suggestions. Can I ask you why your think second floor, high eff single stage furnace? Want to understand the "single stage" part. Thanks