Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgd1_gw

One VERY cold room: Space heater options?

cgd1
13 years ago

I am looking for built-in supplemental heat options for one VERY cold room in our house. It is exterior walls on three sides and is on some sort of slab foundation. The room was formerly a breeze-way to the garage, but now has been enclosed and serves as both our breakfast room and main family entryway/mudroom. The room is approximately 10 x 12, but has very little actual wall space (lots of doors and windows, adding to the chill!)

Ideally, I'd put radiant floor heat in there, but I am not sure that is feasible, because we'd like to avoid having a threshold/elevation change between that room and the kitchen (both now have the same wood flooring). And of course putting in new flooring with heat would bust the budget, as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for another built-in supplemntal heating option that would work in this type of space? There is a built-in banquette seating area with storage below, so I was thinking perhaps a toe-kick or wall heater could be placed under there to blow cozy warm air on us while we are sitting at the table. And I have also seen mention of "cove heating" units that are mounted at the top of the wall, and I thought something like that could work...if not too unsightly.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)