Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhome2007

RUDD Furnace installtion - does the underneath space questionq

jhome2007
12 years ago

I just replaced my furnace in the basement. The unit is RUUD. The air is coming from the bottom of the unit. The old furnace has larger size so the new one is lifted. My question is that does the space underneath the unit needed to be sealed or just leave it open? I will add filter at the bottom. Thanks,

Here is the new unit:

The underneath space:

The return is wide open as well:

-J

Comments (20)

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

J,
    If they raised the unit, why didn't the installer re-work (shorten) the return? If that open space is drawing air, it needs to be sealed.

My suggestion is that you have the installer remove this bottom portion of the return.

Unacceptable workmanship in my opinion.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, bpChil1. The bottom portion of return which is open will draw air into the fan (I have added filter). If it is shortened, or removed, how to use the return to draw the air into the fan?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am having a hard time understanding what this installer did. The new furnace should have sat on the floor and the duct work should have been extended to reach it.

If you keep this set up, then the bottom should be sealed. A slot could be cut in the return to slide in a one inch filter. I can't tell if you have enough room to rework the return for a 4 inch filter. If you do, then that would be a better option.

I would also be concerned about an contractor who will only warranty his work for 6 months. I don't get a good feeling about this guy between his work and warranty.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mike_home, the old furnace is taller than the new one. So it is either raise up the new one or re-work the coil to reach our the new unit. Installer chose to raise up the new unit. The return duct was set for the old one so the air entry won't fit the new unit. The new unit sucks in air from bottom. Is raise-up a common practice?

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am not an expert, but I have never seen this before. I supppose this was done in order to not disturb the existing coil. Is flooding common to your area? Perhaps the the contractor did this for protection against a flood?

If it were my furnace, I would rather have the furnace sit on the floor with rubber feet and then contruct a transition duct from the furnace to the coil.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No flood concern in my place. I just try to understand if the raise-up is acceptable. I was concern about the weight but now a little nervous about the standard. But the unit does has bottom filter panel. If it can not be raised, what would filter be fit in?

• baldloonie
    12 years ago

That is one pathetic installation! See if your town has a city inspector who will come out. I'm sure he'll flip over this one. And your other post about YOU testing it out? And a 6 month warranty? Where did you find this guy? Craigs List?

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The guy is licensed and insured and has been in business for more than a decade. I thought I could trust him. Yes I did post on the forum for 'testing' but it is just for me, a customer to 'feel' if the new unit work correctly. He did thoroughly testing during the installation. The new unit has been running for two days and it works fine. I just want second opinion to see if everything is correct. It seems not the case...

By the way, the unit is up-flow bottom return so raise-up might not be a bad thing but I am concern about open up to the basement since I need fresh air coming from return of the house.

-J

• bpchiil
    12 years ago

J,

That "open" area should be attached to the side of your furnace, so as the furnace fan will draw in the air from the return.

The way it is currently set up, and you are drawing in air from a basement, which is not finished, and depending where your furnace is located, you could be drawing in undesirable, elements, odors, etc.

Get the installer back out to install it the correct way.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bpChil1. The basement is finished but the furnace is in an 'utility' room which is not finished. I agree with you the air flow in this way is not good for health. Since the furnace is bottom-return so the 'open' area of the old return should somehow attach to the bottom of the furnace. I will talk to the installer. He tried to convince me current setting is OK which makes me un-happy.

-J

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

Well, that's one way to drop the return static.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can you clarify 'that's one way to drop the return static'?

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

That was a little 'tongue-in-cheek', sarcasm that it.

Your return drop looks to be 8 x 24", possibly a little small depending on the static pressure of the return. Having that open area has the same effect as having a larger return drop, which would lower the return SP.

While lower SP is desirable, the possible undesirable effects (of the open area) outweigh the good.

V

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh... I guess I know what you mean. If the lower area is sealed, would that be good idea?

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

Yes, it's necessary, but doing so may point out other problems, which might be remedied by installing a larger return drop, radiused into filter housing and furnace.

I'm not advocating having this done piece meal, but rather as part of a total redesigning of the area in question.

Ask the contractor if he can (temporarily block off) the open area and test your total external static pressure (supply and return) and take it from there. Then he can recommend corrective actions.
    The open floor needs to be blocked also.
    V

• RMund98R
    12 years ago

Baldloonie wrote, "That is one pathetic installation!...Where did you find this guy? Craigs List?"

Can Baldloonie please give the pros and cons of using Angie's List to find competent contractors?

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

Well, I'm not the bald one, nor am I a Craig List user, but I'm under the impression (forgive me if I'm wrong) that reviews made by 'satisfied' customers in favor of contractors are vetted (checked out) by the site.

So, if you are buying a piece of used equipment from a vetted contractor, you likely will make out all right. In such a case, the only time such a situation would occur, would be if an incorrect unit was installed in error. Why else would a contractor be removing a good piece of equipment?

On the other hand, most sales of 'used' HVAC equipment are offered by do-it-yourself-ers who have 'professionally' removed the used unit from service. Or, they took on more than they could handle and are backtracking.

Regardless of how the 'non-PRO' came to have the equipment, who vetts him? Caveat emptor.

V

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

Well I do stand corrected, this is absurd, why did hre not connect the return properly to the plenum? Call him back and make him do it right.

• jhome2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This will happen and I am sure what he did is not up to the standard. Thanks all!

-J

• snoringcow
    12 years ago

One of those .... stand in disbelief for a moment ..... jobs.