Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyet1

Trane vs Goodman

buckeyet1
13 years ago

Which heat pump system is better Trane or Goodman. I know a lot is based on the install. But will be in home for 20 more years. Replacing a 18 year old Trane very happy with Trane and I'm leaning towards Trane. Have a nice bid of $4,250 on a Trane XR13 heat pump system. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

buckeye

what is location? maybe ohio?

I will say straight up that I am not a fan of Goodman HVAC especially HPs.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem,Carrier/Bryant.

I would want to take advantage of HVAC tax credit that expires end of Dec if at all possible.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    13 years ago

go with the trane, but you definitely want to upgrade the heatpump to the highest efficiency single stage for sure.

If you want, you can get American standard and probably save some money. They are made by trane and pretty much the same equipment. You really do want to upgrade from the XR13. I would stage away from the ultra efficiency 2-stage condensors.

What part of the country are you in?

• buckeyet1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just had the XR13 1.5 ton and 2 ton air handler installed today by Air Authority of Mason Ohio. Have to say the Install and Equipment are excellent. Hope to get another 18 to 20 years out of this system. Thanks for your input.

• neohioheatpump
    13 years ago

Definitely keep us posted on how the new unit works and if its using less money.

You have an all electric house correct?

You are in a northern climate I think. Although near cincinnati isn't as cold as cleveland its still cold currently. It appears your heating well using just a heatpump. Some people don't believe its possible. Feel free to talk about your experience.

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

I hope your model has demand defrost and at least a TXV. These are two options that pay off in comfort and efficiency rather quickly.

• buckeyet1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes all electric. Will keep you posted seems just after today that the air is warmer from the new unit than the one that was made in 1990 I'm sure they have improved on that right. Will be hard to judge this months bill with 4 days of emergency heat and christmas lights. Will post on Jan. bill.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

buckeye

what air handler was installed? did your new system qualify for tax credit? are you able to take advantage of the HVAC tax credit? what size heat strip?

IMO

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

Both defrost systems are all electric. Electronic demand defrost is the newer system that only goes into a defrost cycle as needed which in dry weather might be a few times a month. Timed defrost is the old technology that goes on compressor run time only and might defrost every 30 mins of run time which is horribly inefficient in comparison.