Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkgarn00

What to look for in new heat pump

lkgarn00
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of replacing our heat pump. The air handler inside unit is a 20 year old Bryant and the outside unit was replaced 10 years ago with a Payne by our home warranty when we moved in to the house. The unit has never worked right since - high heating bills and constant freon leaks and defrost control boards replaced every few years - all in all - a piece of junk that I want gone yesterday.

We are in the process of getting quotes to replace at least the outside unit - several people have said the inside unit is still fine. Obviously the cost to replace the Payne unit would be the least expensive.

We currently have a single stage unit - 4 ton but are looking at a two stage at almost twice the price! Yikes!

Our house is approximately 3000 square feet - 1500 square feet ranch house with full finished basement below grade level.

I know we want to have a manual J load calculation. Besides that - this is where my eyes roll in the back of my head with every brand and which one is best.

Are there certain compressors we should look for? I know installation is important too - what should we look for in the installation process to make sure we are not going to end up with the problems we are currently having with the Payne (literally a pain!)

Comment (1)