Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvthreeiii

Need Move Advice

cvthreeIII
9 years ago

My contractor informed me that Trane was not making the XR13 heat pump after the end of this year and my job is scheduled for Jan. Tigerdunes gave me a detailed model set for the heat pump and matching TAM 27 ? air handler.

Can someone tell me if the following is as good or equivalent as the XR13? My understanding is that it is the same as the XR13 except it is now a 14 seer. I think the difference in system 1 and system 2 is one is a 2 ton and the other is a 2.5 ton. Thanks in advance for any help.

cvthreeIII

SYSTEM - 1

Model # 4TWB4024G1000B
Model # GAM2A0A24S21SF
Model # BAYEAAC10BK1AA

SYSTEM - 2

Model # 4TWB4030G1000B
Model # GAM2A0A30S21SE
Model # BAYEAAC10BK1AA

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The answer is no.

And while a model name change, the XR13 should still be available. I would stay away from the XB series systems you were quoted.

The XR13 is still listed as active both on AHRI HP Directory and Trane residential website. I really don't understand what the problem is with the Trane dealer. Whether it's active or discontinued is irrelevant. Still a nice system and the one I would recommend.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 11:44

• mike_home
    9 years ago

If the factory stops making a model on December 31, then those units won't reach the distributor until the second half of January. This sounds like more of an excuse to switch you to a cheaper heat pump.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Still on HP Directory as active.

5270058 Active Systems TRANE XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3030C1 *AM7A0B30H21 965 31400 12.50 15.00 29000 9.00 16500 1 HRCU-A-CB 260 662 Yes

5271458 Active Systems AMERICAN STANDARD AMERICAN STANDARD 13 AMERICAN STANDARD 4A6H3030C1 *AM7A0B30H21 965 31400 12.50 15.00 29000 9.00 16500 1 HRCU-A-CB 260 662 Yes

Both active systems, Trane and AS equivalent. Lots of firepower on these systems. Get one or the other while you can.

IMO

• cvthreeIII
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. I was afraid this might be a cheaper unit. The contractor was trying to get Am Std for me, but there was a problem getting that line. Maybe he feels locked in by the price he quoted, but for $15,000 I'm going to hold him to the original equipment or find someone else.

I'm a bit disappointed that he would recommend the XB unit and will discuss this with him. Will keep you posted.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What did that 15 include?

Filter cabinets, new linesets, new HP thermostats HW mdl 8321 min, heat strips-what size, new ductwork-what type, # of returns/system?

IMO

• cvthreeIII
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The following is what I asked for and and accepted. The price included removing all the old leaky poorly designed duct work, and starting over. The old part of the house has returns in all 5 rooms, some chased between floor joists. They will be replaced with galv main lines and flex for supply and returns in each room. The downstairs and upstairs will be zoned for a 2 ton unit with a 10kw heat strip, 2 HW8321 thermostats. The new addition 2.5 ton with 10kw heat strip and has one large return located in a family room, but no return in the master bedroom. All the old duct work (which has interior insulation) will be removed and replaced with galv ext insulated supplies. The return for the family room will be enlarged and a return for the master bedroom will be added. He will be adding 4 or 5 new supplies in parts of the house that aren't evenly heated and cooled by the old system.

When the contractor said he was having trouble getting American Standard, he said he could actually get Trane for the same price, then said he could save me about an additional $400 for the model listed at the beginning of this thread. Something didn't sound right.

"I am happy to accept your offer for providing and supplying all necessary materials and labor with the exception of electrical wiring for two 2.5 ton American Standard Heat Pumps, two American Standard TAM 36 variable speed air handlers and three HW 8321 thermostats. I am summarizing the 2.5 ton heat pumps and corresponding TAM 36 air handlers below.

5271459 Active Systems AMERICAN STANDARD AMERICAN STANDARD 13 AMERICAN STANDARD, INC. 4A6H3030C1 *AM7A0C36H31 1025 32200 13.00 15.50 29000 9.00 16500 1 HRCU-A-CB 258 662 Yes

I would prefer the AmStd Perfect Fit media cabinet for air filtration if possible for the new part of the house.

I am pretty sure that this is standard, but exterior R8 insulation for the duct work and galvanized supply and return trunk lines with flex duct for runs. Joints sealed in mastic and a pressure test run for less than 6% leakage.

The price quote is $15,050 less $200 cash discount. I am assuming that this is the total price and includes any tax, permits or license fees?"

Sorry this is so long. Hope I answered all your questions. I'm really looking forward to getting this done right and over with.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You need 2 returns for the new addition centrally located preferably in an interior hallway. You might consider a small return for the MBR. Total return air sized 1200 CFMs for all three returns. R8 insulation for all ductwork, metal, flex, supply, and return.

What is size living area for each system, 2 and 2 1/2 ton? Load calc for sizing has been performed broken out for each system and given to you in writing on software letterhead?

IMO