Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attic Insulation

Posted by pete_p_ny (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 9:05

I wanted to insulate my attic. It has 1963 vintage kraft faced insulation...probably 2 to 3" think. It is in ratty condition (matted down, some areas breached from prior work in the house, etc). Am I better off pulling it all out and dumping in fresh kraft faced insulation? Or covering over the top with unfaced insulation. From the sheetrock to the top of the joist is 9". I also saw on a home show, a builder cut strips of poly plastic sheeting and layed it in each joist and covered with unfaced insulation. Not sure if that is worth the effort, but it supposedly unfaced is considerable cheaper in cost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attic Insulation

Mostly I see blown in insulation which is nice because you can cover the joists and get a much higher r-value - ie r-60 and even above. I can't remember if that is a problem in NY - I wouldn't think so. Lowe's rents you a machine to blow for free. You would remove the old insulation - just because it may be moldy and it isn't doing much anyway.

The vapor barrier question is a big one so you need to be sure on that. I am 90% sure you would be fine but I'd want to be sure.

o

Don't use poly on the ceiling for any reason. It is a bad idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corbett Cooling

o

Why is poly bad? I see it being used on many home shows?

o

friend had his blown/batt attic insulation removed and than put down a layer of spray foam and had cellulose blown on top. says 2nd floor is much warmer now. he had areas that had drafts and leaks before and wanted a tight leak free install.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here