Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Diesel Fuel in Oil Furnace

Posted by chas036 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 8:18

The price of diesel fuel in my area is $2.50 per gal where as #2 fuel oil is $3.39 Can I burn diesel fuel in my furnace without any problems since it is considered #2 fuel oil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Diesel Fuel in Oil Furnace

It is the same, in fact perhaps better as it is controlled (octane, or in this case cetane #) and filtered better.
However, you will be hard-pressed to get a delivery to a home heating tank.

If youre thinking of carting home 5 gallons every night, factor in the inconvenience and smell involved to this task.

Diesel fuel has fallen as has petrol, and fuel oil hasn't caught up do to reserves and inventory. My advice is to keep shopping the fuel oil delivery price in your area.

o

Your probably burning diesle anyway. #1 fuel oil is used up in Canada. It is different up here. We can use purple
winter diesle. It is purple to designate no road tax. #2 doesn't want to burn very well at 40 below but will burn eventually when it warms up. Not as much heat. Most of our
oil tanks are outside. Put #2 oil in the tank and your furnace will not start. You also need a one inch supply line from the tank to the inside filter. I had to put winter diesle in my garage furnace last month. The furnace
will not start without delayed ignition. Once the oil warms up everything is fine. There is a big difference in
#1 and #2 oil up here. Actually we can't get #2 oil.

o

Where is fuel oil still so expensive? Today in eastern PA the price is about $1.80+ a gallon for a tank full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here