Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermostat recommendation

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 7:48

A rental property has a heat pump with electric resistance auxiliary. When vacant, the heat needs to be sufficient only to prevent freezing. While the heat pump is only a couple of years old, the thermostat is a Janitrol with mercury switch that is at least 20 years old and has a minimum setting of 50 degrees.
Need your suggestions for a digital thermostat with 40 degrees minimum setting that is powered by the 24 volt control system (batteries not necessary), not-programmable, a clock function is not necessary. Preferably will light up the display when a button is pushed. Preferably would permit the user to select the differential at 1,2 or 3 degrees.
I do not know that controls the operation of the auxiliary.
If the thermostat is suddenly turned up 10 degrees, the auxiliary is actuated. I would like for that differential to be at least 2 degrees and adjustable to 3 degrees if possible.
One of the Gem Tech models has several of these features but not all of them.
Your suggestions are welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermostat recommendation

Honeywell offers a few non-programmable thermostats which are compatible with heat pump. They can be set as low as 40 degrees. I am not sure if you you select the auxiliary heat differential.

Below is the link the the Honeywell thermostats. If you find one that may work for you, then call the Honeywell customer service assistance number. The customer assistance is supposed to answer questions for DIY installations. They can provide details not included in the manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell thermostats

o
RE: Thermostat recommendation

I have a Honeywell programmable which I really like, but if I was buying one now, I'd go for one that can be monitored and adjusted remotely:

Here is a link that might be useful: IP Thermostats

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here