Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I find an A/C brainiac in my area???

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 11 at 7:09

I'm reading the posts in this forum from the professionals... and I gotta tell you.... I'm not getting the same impression from the any of the A/C guys in my area!

They just don't sound as expert as those in this forum.

Is there a solid way for me to find a local A/C guy who understands the technical aspects of central A/C and heat?

I'm in Knoxville (east Tennessee)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I find an A/C brainiac in my area???

how difficult is your system? Is it just a residential split system? What kind of problems are you having?

o

I don't know if my situation is complex (how would I?).... but I am wanting to replace a noisy 15 yr old all-in-one a/c & gas unit with a split system.

This is an old house. There is a separate system for the upstairs, but I'm only concerning myself with the downstairs for now. The downstairs is about 1,000 sq ft.

It would just be delightful to have a real-deal a/c expert take a look at my place and give me some expert thoughts.

I rarely get that experience. Instead, I tend to get guys who say things that I know are simply not true ("heat pumps are effective down to 0 degrees")... and I'm a frig'n lay person!

Granted, I'm also thinking of getting some regular dudes to install a probably-appropriate American Standard 2.5 ton unit, too... and crossing my fingers. I did just get an estimate from one of the legit businesses in town, too... for a Trane XL 15i 2 ton, dual fuel, gas/heat pump.

o

Go the web site of the major manufacturers (Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Rheem/Rudd) and search for factory authorized dealers within your zip code. Select dealers who are Nate certified. Out of curiosity I found some Carrier authorized dealers in the 37920 zip code.

Pick 3 contractors and schedule visits to your home. By the third visit you should get an idea who is competent and who is not. If they are all incompetent then keep calling. I suggest you stay within a brand family so that you can do an apples to apples comparison between contractors.

o

Why would they have to be nate certified that just means they paid for a test and studied the test questions and answers.

o

Isn't that how it works for all professions?

o

Mine is staying right here in Virginia.

I keep threatening to chain him to the floor.

He was a counter man for an HVAC parts distributor for a while (not enough 'real work' as he put it) and spent all day on the phone walking the other techs through their problems.

He started his own company when the market picked up and has enough work to hire additional techs, who he runs through the wronger before letting loose on his customers.

o

Behaviorkelton - try Angie's List. It has never steered me wrong, and I have used it to find several different kinds of contractors (masonry, windows, stone fabrication, appliance repair, electrician, and HVAC). I think the sign-up fee is $15, but Angie's List is offering holiday promo discounts for first-timers. Then they charge a monthly fee of, I think, $4.95, which you can stop at any time. Also, many of the contractors offer discount coupons for Angie's List members. The membership is SO worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angie's List in Knoxville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here