Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

Posted by jpeana (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 6:16

Hi all, I have my oil to gas conversion scheduled for Thurs Jan 2 with snow predicted followed by a few frigid days. Any thoughts on whether to postpone for a few days and what precautions to take (electric heaters ready, etc)? The process dragged longer than expected. Thanks and Happy Holidays !!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

What does your installing dealer say about both weather issue and time to install? How many installers will dealer devote to your job?

IMO


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

They say they will have the heat going the first day before leaving and that the weather will not be a hinerance. I dont know the number of installers devoted to install. Thanks for the response TD


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

Obviously the worst that could happen is to lose the service of existing system for several days before new system can be installed. If you have confidence in the dealer, I would proceed.

Don't like the idea of multiple space heaters spread out in your home. Get home toasty before old system is disconnected. If you like use one electric heater in one room while new install is ongoing. Keep heater away from furniture and make certain it is not knocked over. Most new electric space heaters have multiple safety features. I just don't care for them.

Good Luck!
TD


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

Well, the yes time to do this is spring/summer. Trust the dealer to get it done. They may had a long day, but they can't leave you without heat. You have a lot of heating season left. Enjoy the savings.


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

Thanks so much guys... nervous here in staten island ny w/ the weather. Ill let you know (next year :-) how it went. thanks, jp


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

What system BTW are you having installed? Be specific.

TD


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

Sorry for the delay.. the boiler is the Burnham pvg-5 (the brand w/ utility rebate) and the indirect water heater is by crown. They cant vent it right near the burner so they will try venting via pipe up to the chimney top. We posponed till next tuesday to let the storm blow by. Thanks!


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

ps... on on 1/4 tank now.. any danger in adding 10 gal or so of diesel fuel to make sure I don't run out? Dealer min del = 50 gals (did that last week). thanks, jp


 o
RE: Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

How big is tank?


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here