Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimlessone

Most efficient way to heat with 2 units

aimlessone
10 years ago

I have a 2 story home with two units, one up, one down. There is a large open space in the entryway which extends up to the second floor. The problem I have is that the heat from the first floor rises and the thermostat for the second floor is located near the open space. We use the upstairs a lot more than the downstairs so I have the downstairs set at 65 and the upstairs set at 70 to try to save a little money. Problem is all the heat escapes the downstairs making the downstairs unit turn on all the time and the upstairs unit doesn't turn on at all which makes for cold nights in the bedrooms. What would be the cost effective way to remedy this situation? Is the only solution to keep the thermostats at the same temperature? It seems like a waste of money to have the downstairs heated when we don't use it much.

Comments (5)

• SpecialtyAirInc
    10 years ago

You should know one fact that hot air rises up and if there is even a slight difference of temperature, the hot air will run towards the area of low temperature. I propose that you keep the temperature of the thermostat on the lower floor set at around 70, then I hope it won't bother you even if you keep the temperature of upper unit at a relatively lower temperature.

• SpecialtyAirInc
    10 years ago

You should know one fact that hot air rises up and if there is even a slight difference of temperature, the hot air will run towards the area of low temperature. I propose that you keep the temperature of the thermostat on the lower floor set at around 70, then I hope it won't bother you even if you keep the temperature of upper unit at a relatively lower temperature.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

What temperature are you trying to maintain during the day and at night on the first and second floors? Are your thermostats programmable?

Is it possible to install a ceiling fan in the open space entry way?

• aimlessone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was trying to maintain 69 upstairs. I don't care what temperature downstairs, but I was just trying to save a little by having the temperature a little lower. There is a ceilinlg fan in the game room which is an open area on the second floor that looks out onto the first floor. The thermostat is located on a wall next to the "entry area" of the game room.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

..." so I have the downstairs set at 65 and the upstairs set at 70 ..."

"I was trying to maintain 69 upstairs. I don't care what temperature downstairs..."

If you don't care what the downstairs temperature is, then lower the thermostat down to 60 or as low as you can stand it. A better way is to set back the temperature at night on the first floor when you are sleeping upstairs. Then raise the temperature for the periods of time when you are usually on the first floor. You can try closing the registers nearest the open space entry way.

Try running the fan in reverse at the slowest setting. This may help push the warm air down to the first floor. You want to do this in reverse otherwise you will get a wind chill effect which will make you feel colder.