Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrlavig

Heat Pump help

mrlavig
9 years ago

I'm replacing a 25 year old split system Trane heat pump and would be grateful for any help as I'm a carpenter my knowledge of HVAC is limited. My sq footage is 2900 sq ft 2 story home and we are all electric for energy supply. We are down flow furnace located in garage which feeds supply runs through crawl space under floor and boxed chases to upper floor. Return air vents are at first floor family room ceiling and second story top of stairs, bonus room and bedroom ceilings. We use air conditioning here in Seattle very little, and my main concern is economical heating system. We have plans for future wood burning insert in family room masonry fireplace for back up heat source.

The air handler is 50 ft away from condenser location.
A buddy in the trade has a scratch and dent unit Trane TAM 8 variable speed non communicating version available to me at $1,100.00 which is wholesale supplier take back they want to move. Questions what Trane Heat Pump would you recommend with that TAM8? Heat strip size and Qty ? Thermostat ? Manual J calcs has tonnage at 5K.

I realize that particular air handler is typically used with higher priced communicating heat pumps but none of that interests me. Is a single stage XR13 or XR14 with two stage heat strips 7/12 a good choice to use with non communicating TAM 8 ? I do want the thermostat to be able to operate the blower independently if we choose to run wood insert fireplace in conjunction with blower only mode( return air would pull fireplace insert heated air from family room). What thermostat would do that ? I'd like to be armed with knowledge before I go to HVAC contractors. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment (1)