Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three phase heater wiring and load calculations

Posted by MaheshChhatbar (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 3:52

I have a heater unit of 18 KW
It is a Three Phase unit in which I have connected 4 x 1.5 KW heater across each Phase to Neutral.
thus having 3 x 4 x 1.5 KW = 18 KW Total.
It draws appx 24 amps per phase and appx 1 amp in neutral due to little imbalance in heater.
The above are connected as Star or WYE. We have appx 240 V across Phase to neutral.

Not I intend to increase my heating to appx 27 KW.
I am to place an order for 1.5 heaters rated at 415 VAC
I will be connected the heaters as Delta.
That is 6 heaters is connected across two phases.
Thus I will be connecting 3 x 6 x 1.5 KW Heaters = Total 27 KW.
What I wish to know is what will be the ampears drawn from each phase of the supply.
I am confused.
Please help.

Thanks & Best Regards

Mahesh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three phase heater wiring and load calculations

Very confusing. there is no neutrol in 3 phase. Ohms law.
do the math. Total amps or amps per element ?

o

I was curious as to how to solve this problem so I did a little research. I think my answer is correct.

Changing the configuration from wye to delta increases the voltage across each heater by a factor of 1.73 (square root of 3). The heater voltage becomes:

240V * 1.73 = 416V

If you want to dissipate 27KW of total power then divide by the voltage to get the current through the heaters:

27000W/416V = 64.9amps

To get the line current through each heater divide the total by 3:

64.9amps/3 = 21.6

The currents from the supply is the summation of the currents in the heaters. The line currents are out of phase by 120 degrees so you need to multiple by 1.73:

21.6amps * 1.73 = 37.5amps

Below is a link for a wye and delta calculator. You can plug in any two numbers and calculate the others.

Merry Christmas

o

Y-connected 3-phase does have a neutral. Delta connected does not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here