Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoganfour

Need Heating System Ideas for Condo Remodel

hoganfour
10 years ago

We have purchased a top floor, 1500 sq ft, 1926 built condominium unit in San Francisco. We are doing a significant remodel including replacing all the wood floors and some of the walls/ceilings. There are currently 4 steam radiators which heat the unit from the building's main steam boiler system. There is lots of damage to the wood floors from malfunctioning radiators over the years. We would like to remove the radiators, cap the pipes and install our own heating system. What can we use to provide heating? We have a gas line to the unit. There would be space in a closet for a small furnace and we can provide exhaust through the roof. Radiant heat in the floor would probably be an option. And we've heard about a product called Spacepak. Appreciate any wisdom/experience that you can share!

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Well, I will assume your remodel will include insulation upgrades where indicated. It should especially taking into consideration the age of the condo.

Radiant heat would involve a boiler powered by electric or nat gas. Just wondering if the main building's boiler could power the radiant heat.

If you want a forced air system, that would include a ductwork system unless you were considering mini split HPs. Is there room overhead perhaps in attic for a ductwork system?

I would review options including your fuel choices and their rates. Is AC something you want or need? Top floor units may be warmer and need AC.

Just really brainstorming on the fly.

Are their budget considerations?

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Are you opposed to steam heating because the radiators are ugly? If that is the case you can buy four custom radiators in several styles and colors.

Here is a link to give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runtal Steam Radiators

• hoganfour
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found out today from talking to a contractor friend that electric radiant heat won't work for us - don't have enough electrical amps coming into the apartment. Don't like the idea of using a water system - too complicated in these old floors. The frustrations of working within the limitations of a 1926 building.

I love the look of the Runtal Steam Radiators. I wonder if they can be used to replace an old-fashioned single pipe steam radiator? It is definitely worth talking to them. Thank you both.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I would suggest a Rinnai Energysaver Direct vent gas units. Simple install, quiet and efficient. As well if you are looking for cooling you could go with a mini-split heat pump. I use a combination of the Rinnai's and Fujitsu mshp's to heat my home in Nevada City. Great zoning, great comfort and very economical operation.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

As much as I love hydronic systems your best solution may be a multi-head split inverter heat pump with the indoor units being built into either the walls or ceilings. This way you will have both heating and air-conditioning with each indoor unit being a separate controllable zone.

SR

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I am not disagreeing with the above post. But you definitely want to understand your electric rate. California has some if not the highest rates in the nation and depending on your utility the rates may be tiered. I do like the idea of having AC as well as heat. The Bay Area has relatively moderate winter and summer temps.

IMO

• jimrothca
    8 years ago

Hoganfour, I also live in San Francisco and am remodeling my 50+ year old apartment unit. I'm curious what solution you ended up using? Are you happy with it??

• hoganfour
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello jimrothca. We ended up putting radiant heat in the bathrooms under the new stone tile floors and love it. This was a minimal drain on the amps.For the rest of the apartment, we kept the old steam radiators, but attached thermostatic radiator control valves to them to better control the temperature. We also had the old radiators sand blasted and powder coated at Champion Powder Coating on Fairfax. They look great! Is the solution perfect? - No. But it looks great and works pretty well without re-inventing the wheel. :-)
  • jimrothca
    8 years ago

Sounds like a practical solution. Did you use electric radiant heat in your bathroom floors? Or hydronic?