Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas line regulator freezing

Posted by rusvd (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 1:14

Hello
I have a gas line outside the house that is freezing up and not letting gas get to my furnace. Mind you its -25 windchill. The thing is my exhaust outlet from my heater is right next to my gas line regulator and is causing it to freeze up from all the steam it is pumping out. My question is: Would this be my problem? Thus meaning my exhaust pipe would have to be moved? or does it seem like the regulator is a little weird making it the gas companies problem?
This is the first winter I've ever had with this house, I purchased it in May. The coil on my heater went out because of the gas line freezing up and not getting any gas into the heater thus making the heater turn on and off for hours. Not even sure if the coil did burn out, this is what the mechanic said? Is this possible?
The regulator is now blocked by a piece of sheet metal which is only a temporary till hopefully tomorrow.
Open to all ideas.
I'm going to call the gas company tomorrow and already have the mechanic getting some stuff together to lengthen the pipe so it isn't directly blowing steam into the regulator.
I just wonder how it has made it every other winter and now the regulator is acting up?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas line regulator freezing

I changed out many frozen up gas meters during my years as a repairman for a natural gas utility. Bu those were overwhelmingly on low pressure gas mains, about 1/4 PSI above atmospheric pressure, which allowed water to get into gas mains, services and meters and freeze up during cold weather.

Since you presumably have a regulator on the meter, you probably have a higher pressure system not susceptible to that problem.

Regulators have a mechanical linkage that could, I suppse, freeze up from moisture condensing on it from a furnace as you describe.

At least at the utility where I worked, responding to calls of the utility not supplying gas to customers was a high priority, and if the utility's equipment wasn't providing service that was repaired at no cost.

Have you actually disconnected the meter outlet to verify that you aren't getting any gas? I'm wondering why you conclude that the regulator is frozen up.

Having the utility inspect the condition of the meter and regulator is probably the best approach. They would be able to tell you if the meter or regulator is frozen, and tell you if the furnace vent is a likely cause of the problem. Frankly, I wouldn't volunteer that as the problem --- let them figure it out rather than suggesting a cause.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here