Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ducky22_gw

Carrier Programmable Thermostat, not working?

ducky22
12 years ago

Lately we are having issues with our thermostat. I have tried programming the 7 day schedule with every set time set at 75 Heat. However, when the time rolls around, the thermostat does not kick off. I can't even heat the house on demand by the so called "Hold" function.

My thermostat looks like this one.

Right now the temp is 60. To the right of this current temp number, I set my desired heat temp to 75. Then I had the Mode as "Heat" the Fan as "Auto" and I pressed the HOLD button to turn it on. NOTHING. Am I delirious and doing something wrong or are we possibly experiencing a malfunctioning thermostat?

Comments (12)

• SaltiDawg
    12 years ago

Let's see. The temperature is 60 degrees and you push "Hold." And that tells the thermostat to maintain 60 degrees... which means it does not need to heat anything.

sounds right to me.

Don't push the Hold button. If the house is sitting at 60 degrees and you have the programmed temperature at 75 degrees the furnace should run to heat the home.

• harlemhvacguy
    12 years ago

could be a bad tstat but you could also have something wrong with your heating system itself. does the fan come on when you put the fan to on? does the a/c work? Homeowner always thinks it is a bad tstat but only about 30% of the time it is.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I have the same Carrier 'stat for 6 years, and there have been four of them for years longer than that where I work. No trouble thus far with any.

If the room temp is 60, and you're HOLDing with a heat setpoint of 75F then of course the system should heat.

If you have all four periods of all seven days set at 75F, then there shouldn't be any waiting for the "time to roll around" ... all the periods are the same so any day-and-period at any point in time should maintain 75F.

However, be sure you are SETTING the HEAT temp ... the heat temp SETPOINT is not the same as setting heat MODE. When in program mode, the lower-left button switches between setting COOL temp, HEAT temp, and target TIME.

HOLD overrides the programming for manual adjustment of the temp, until Hold is disengaged. Your choice, but there's no need to use Hold if you have all the days/periods programmed for the same temp.

Note that if HOLD is not engaged, manually adjusting the temp setpoint up or down will TEMPORARILY override the programmed temp, until the next scheduled period triggers. Example, if the current setpoint is 75, time of day is 1 PM and you want to temporarily lower the setpoint to 72 until the next period (say, evening at 5 PM), simply press the Temp Down button to 72F. 72F will be in effect until 5 PM at which time the programming will revert it back to 75F.

• SaltiDawg
    12 years ago

dadoes,

"If the room temp is 60, and you're HOLDing with a heat setpoint of 75F then of course the system should heat."

Thanks. My post above is wrong, however I am unable to delete or even edit it.

I would say that my point about not pushing "Hold" was valid, however.

sorry to have caused confusion.

• heatseeker
    12 years ago

Time for a pro joe.

• stevieebay
    7 years ago

We have an 8-year old Carrier Infinity System. Thermostat SYSTXCCUID01-B/ Version 14.------ Unable to change "fan" settings from the "fan" button located at top right of thermostat. Button feels "mushy" & we don't feel a slight "click" (like others on the thermostat) when we push it & doesn't stick out quite as far as other buttons. Is now staying on "High". But A/C is working/cycling normally. Fan runs on "high' when temperature is reached. Tech says we need a new thermostat at cost of $1,000. ---- Is there a way I can open the case & inspect the fan button for something like a bad spring, dust accumulation, etc? -- Thank you so much! Steve

• Mike C
    7 years ago

Does it have to be Carrier? For $150 you can get a Honeywell programmable. Don't know about multi-staging heating or cooling or humidity control.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

I have the same thermostat. If is unusual the fan button is worn out. I leave my fan on auto and never change it.

It is unlikely the button can be repaired. I am not even sure if you can open up the case to reveal the circuit board without breaking it.

I think a $1000 to replace the thermostat is a bit much. I think a brand new one costs $400-$500. It should take a tech about 5 minutes to swap the thermostat and maybe a few minutes to go into the service menu and find all the equipment and enter some values.

If you replace it with a standard programmable thermostat you will loose the staging control. It will have to be rewired and you probably have to change the DIP switches on the control board.

I could be wrong, but I think this model is discontinued. He may be proposing installing a new version with WiFi. Here is the new version on Amazon for $380. It should not be that difficult to install. You may be able to do this yourself.

You can also try calling a Bryant dealer. The Evolution thermostat is the same. Maybe you will get a little more reasonable price.

• PRO
    Air and Energy Soutions
    7 years ago

My old dog of a computer will not allow me to see the pic, but I'm a Carrier dealer and Carrier does not make thermostats but brands other manufacturer's products. What you may have is a PRO IAQ thermostat. If so, the model may be something like a TT-705 or TT-850. Sorry, I can't see the pic. If that is what you have, just google the model number to find a manual for that thermostat. As I"m sure you know all these things are made in China in a basement somewhere by an 11 year old girl that works 18 hours a day on these things without a single break. They should be ashamed, but that's a different story. Where was I? Oh yeah, the end result is that the quality sometimes suffers and thermostats fail. If you find that you have a defective thermostat, you can pick up a new one at any home store and replace it EASY. Just make sure that if you have a heat pump, you use a thermostat labeled either "universal" or "heat pump". If you have gas heat, you can use almost anything as long as it is not a dedicated "heat pump" thermostat. I have easy "how to" instructions as to how to change it on the "DIY" section of my website. If you need it, instructins are HERE.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

Do you realize Steve has an Infinity communicating thermostat with a four wire ABCD connector which uses an RS-232 interface? It is going to take quite a bit or rewiring to get a Honeywell IAQ Pro thermostat to work, but then he looses all the diagnostic capability of the Infinity controller.

I am surprised a Carrier dealer would recommend this option.

• PRO
    Air and Energy Soutions
    7 years ago

Oops! Didn't see that. You should be able to get a copy of the manual from the installing contractor. If not, it may be time to have a reputable contractor take a look. These are very different.