Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lildeere

3T American Standard ...is the Price Right?

lildeere
11 years ago

Just had a new 15 seer American Standard Gold 3T HP and matching inside furnace installed. Price was 6400. plus 550 for a scuttle 60.1 steam humidifier installed, extras includes a new honeywell pro5000 thermo and a new 20x30 filter grill as well as a new duct vent in basement for my workshop. Is 7100 a fair price? The crew of 6 knocked it out in 11 hours and I thought it was fair...am I correct?

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

The price sounds reasonable but without model numbers for both HP and furnace, I can not be certain. And to be clear, your inside unit is a furnace not an air handler?

If you actually have a furnace and a true dual fuel (hybrid) system, then I don't care for the thermostat selection at all. Please confirm.

I would like to see the model numbers. And what are you doing about air cleaning filter?

Post back.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

6 workers11 hours...Wow!

• lildeere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the 6 workers was trimmed down to 3 by lunch...removal of old unit and some minor duct mods. two main workers kept things moving while a supervisor re landscaped around the new outside unit and installed a full plastic pad over the concrete pad and leveled it on 6 inch stands. The HP is the Gold 15 seer and the indoor handler is the new GAM50A0B36M31SAB . I didnt spring for the electronic air cleaning package so it just conventional. Does that help?

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

still need condenser model number.
    on tag of outside unit.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I will assume this is a 3 ton Heritage 15 HP. If correct, dealer should have given you the 42 GAM5 air handler rather than the 36. The 42 has the superior performance and efficiency numbers according to the AHRI HP Directory which is the authority on such matters. The 42 is slightly larger but does give you 15 SEER and 9 HSPF while the 36 gives 14.5 SEER and 8.5 HSPF. More BTUs on the cooling side as well.

While you don't mention your location, if it has high humidity in the
    summer, then the HW mdl 8321 thermostat with humidity sensor would be preferred.

And I always recommend a whole house media filter cabinet over cheap 1" filters located in a return.

The price sounds reasonable but without a good reason, your dealer shortchanged you on the air handler because it will be higher operating costs especially on the heating side.

AmStd make great heat pumps.
    IMO

• lildeere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well thanks tigerdunes...I dont feel all warm and fuzzy anymore. Wish I had asked for advice before the install but I had no idea what handler I was receiving. My 21 year old unit its replacing was a 9 seer so I will still get some great savings...thanks for you help.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Make no mistake. You still have a great system, one of the best sgl stg HPs in residential market. It could have been better though with little to no additional cost.

Do you mind sharing your location?

Any idea on size of heat strip?

IMO